1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS not picking up any satellites

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by richwilliamson, May 15, 2011.

1. richwilliamson

Hi all

First post, though I've read some very helpful stuff on here in the past. Hoping someone will be able to help here!

A few weeks ago I dropped my HTC Desire onto a concrete floor and it shattered the screen. The phone still worked fine but it would've cost a fortune to get repaired, so I acquired a new screen and digitiser, already fitted into a new front fascia, for

porges likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. flying dog

flying dog Member

Though maybe not the problem, it is worth checking that the "update GPS position" is turned on.

My phone (Desire 2.1) I go to GPS ESSENTIALS, settings and then the update GPS position and have to turn it on.

3. richwilliamson

Cheers... didn't have GPS Essentials but have loads of other testing programs. Downloaded it though, just in case, but still no joy...

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

I found some information:
    The GPS antenna is on the left side of the Desire (back side view). It's a tiny cable with a tiny connector. Probably that connector has to reattached.

EDIT: A picture of the Nexus One GPS antenna ...
    http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9219/gpsmh.jpg

Harry

porges and richwilliamson like this.
  5. richwilliamson

That's really helpful, thank you! I'm not at home right now but will check that out as soon as I can. Thanks! Here's hoping...

6. richwilliamson

And, having now got the phone home... success! The antenna had come undone - not at the end I'd disconnected and reconnected when replacing the screen, but, at the other end, hidden under some tape. All sorted. Thanks Harry2!

7. porges

porges Lurker

I just want to say thanks to both of you. I was experiencing the same issue - opened up my phone and found that the GPS antenna had become unplugged!

Don't know how it happened but everything is working again :)

8. deechte

deechte Lurker

Hi,

just logged in here to say that I experienced exactly the same as richwilliamson. I too dropped my Desire on the floor, shattering the digitizer. I too followed the excellent guide from TJworld to replace it with a new one from brando.com.

All was well, except for the GPS. No satellites at all in GPS status and other apps. I have reopened the device numerous times checking the GPS cable connector, that TJworld's guide makes you disconnect. It was just fine. In my case too, it finally appeared to be the lower GPS antenna connector that was loose, instead of the upper GPS antenna plug. It's indeed hidden underneath some black tape. Now it's just fine!

I found out that the lower antenna plug can easily be disconnected when you put a screwdriver under the black plastic back chassis to elevate it out of the way. The hole I used to put the screwdriver in is very close to the lower antenna plug. So I probably elevated the chassis and unplugged the antenna in one movement.

Finally, I did find that reinserting the black plastic back chassis can make the upper antenna plug disconnect, when tilting the chassis in there.

Good luck!

9. Polarbert

Polarbert Lurker

I just wanted to say that my GPS has not been working. I tried all the removing of the sim and sd card and waiting, and it still wouldn't work.

I'm going to order some torx screwdrivers and have a look if the gps antenna has become unplugged. My phone has previously been in to HTC to have a new power button, do you think that something might have happened to it then? I wouldn't mind sending it back, but it would be a big disadvantage sending it in and not having it for two weeks.

Also, when the GPS is turned on, it appears in the notification bar on the right hand side at the top, but it just flashes green and never locks on. GPS test and status don't show anything.

Is this my best bet? Failing this I'll send it in, but as HTC have already pierced the voided stickers over the screws I think I've got nothing to lose.

10. deechte

deechte Lurker

Hi, if your GPS reception is absolutely zero, and has been like this exactly since the moment you've sent it to HTC, I'd say the conclusion is clear. Moreover, if the void stickers are gone, the only thing you have to loose is the cost of the screw driver. I'd give it a *careful* try.

Make sure to check both sides of the GPS antenna cable.

11. chuko

chuko Lurker

Hi, I too just registered to thank you all for helping me fix my desire. I pulled it apart to fix the power down button, and accidentally unclipped the gps antenna.

Tried lots of different wild goose chases with software until I decided to investigate the hardware again. Thanks all.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews