• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS not reliably finding location

gamul1

Android Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2010
My GPS is not reliably finding my location. I'm currently on a trip in NH and for the most part all location finding apps think I am at work in Natick MA.

If I use Yelp all the around me stuff is Natick. Sometimes if i go back home in yelp 3 or 4 times and keep going back to a category it will finally figure out where I am but then promptly goes back to thinking I am at work.

The weather app and the home screen weather widget solidly think I am at work and no amount of refreshes have it get it right.

About the only app that mostly works is Google Maps navigation. It generally knows exactly where I am. Sometimes when I first open Maps it thinks I am in Natick but then it quickly jumps to my true location.

My location services is set to use Wifi and GPS and usually when I open yelp I see a notification that my location was set by GPS. I have restarted the Xoom a few times as well as toggled the location services. No change.

One difference is that while on this trip I am tethered to my Droid incredible using WiFi Tether as opposed to a normal WiFi network. But my phone knows I am in NH.

I read someone else said to do a factory reset but I would like to avoid there. With over 200 apps installed and 2500 songs and a dozen movies - I have little desire to reinstall all that stuff.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones