• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GPS not working in ARHD

Right... found the thread on here that has a link to the XDA thread... I got Root Explorer and then manually typed all the stuff from the XDA thread and my GPS started working... seems to be something to do with where the DHD thinks it is!

EDIT - I have just looked down the whole of that thread and seen that you had already commented in it... I'd say give it a go. When you create a new gps.conf file, it saves the old one as gpsconf.bak (or something similar)! :)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Don't need anything with a # infront of (or around) it, but if you look at your current gps.conf file, you will probably find that it is a LOT shorter than that. I found that the gps.conf file reverted to something similar when I flashed a new ROM too.

I think you should be able to make a copy of the file using Root Explorer, which you should then be able to store a copy of on your SD card and replace each time you flash a ROM.

Upvote 0
For info... this thread actually reminded me that I hadn't changed my gps.conf file since flashing an ICS ROM. I changed it and then went out @ lunch in one of the company cars.

I knew my route, but went in to google maps anyway. Asked it to navigate from my current location to the town where I had to go for banking and it worked like a charm... even in the car!!

Upvote 0
For info... this thread actually reminded me that I hadn't changed my gps.conf file since flashing an ICS ROM. I changed it and then went out @ lunch in one of the company cars.

I knew my route, but went in to google maps anyway. Asked it to navigate from my current location to the town where I had to go for banking and it worked like a charm... even in the car!!

do i need to get Root Explorer or will Astro or ES File Explorer be ok ?

Upvote 0

Also , for this method: AGPS Patch DesireHD 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS - xda-developers

you can flash this file named Download the Google Specific CWM Flashable

but i dont understand how ? Method 3 (easiest if you use a compatible version of CWR or CWM)*:
1. Download the patch
2. Boot into CWR (Clockwork Recovery)
3. Mount /system/ partition (on the main menu, select the "Mounts and storage" option, then "mount /system")
4. Flash the patch (on the main menu, select "Install zip from sdcard," then "choose zip from sdcard," and find the zip and select it)
5. Reboot the device
6. Review the NOTES section.

actually , I think i get it , but any clarification will be appreciated muchly

Upvote 0
ClockWorkMod Touch shouldn't cost anything... it's just an upgrade to ClockWorkMod (I think it's free)...

If you can set the system to R/W in ES File Explorer, then you should be able to sort the gps.conf file yourself (without having to buy Root Explorer).

I have tried to get the file from dropbox to download, but it only shows as text... it doesn't take long to edit the file! Will have another go though!!

Upvote 0
ClockWorkMod Touch shouldn't cost anything... it's just an upgrade to ClockWorkMod (I think it's free)...

If you can set the system to R/W in ES File Explorer, then you should be able to sort the gps.conf file yourself (without having to buy Root Explorer).

I have tried to get the file from dropbox to download, but it only shows as text... it doesn't take long to edit the file! Will have another go though!!

so all i would need is :

NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.uk.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.uk.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.uk.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.uk.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.europe.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.europe.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.europe.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.europe.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

DEBUG_LEVEL =0

INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

ACCURACY_THRES=0

REPORT_POSITION_USE_SUPL_REFLOC=1

ENABLE_WIPER=1

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276
SUPL_NO_SECURE_PORT=3425
SUPL_SECURE_PORT=7275
SUPL_TLS_HOST=FQDN
SUPL_TLS_CERT=/etc/SuplRootCert

C2K_HOST=c2k.pde.com
C2K_PORT=1234

CURRENT_CARRIER=common
DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
DEFAULT_SSL_ENABLE=FALSE

DEFAULT_USER_PLANE=TRUE

Upvote 0
Did you do it Mehta23? Have you tried your GPS out?

Copied the file to system /etc. Restated the phone. Got a com.Android.Phone error. Then opened up gps status, got one satélite after a fair few minutes.
Edit : put the phone nearer to the windows, got 6 in around 20 seconds - accuracy to around 60m

Looking back at the gps.conf file, what's supposed to be on the first line and is there anything else I can do to make my GPS better?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones