1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS not working in ARHD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mehta23, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I used a method from XDA that involved using Root Explorer to edit the gps.conf file, so that it looked for the right gps region data or something... I will have a look to see if I can find it when I get in!

Mehta23 likes this.
  3. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

You in yet? :p

4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Sorry Mehta... was in last night for about 5mins and then spent a coulpe of hours @ hospital... will have to look when I get home (unless I get 5 mins today @ lunch).

5. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Right... found the thread on here that has a link to the XDA thread... I got Root Explorer and then manually typed all the stuff from the XDA thread and my GPS started working... seems to be something to do with where the DHD thinks it is!

EDIT - I have just looked down the whole of that thread and seen that you had already commented in it... I'd say give it a go. When you create a new gps.conf file, it saves the old one as gpsconf.bak (or something similar)! :)

El Presidente likes this.
  6. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

So all I do is copy the whole text, images save as gps.conf and change for UK satellites...?

7. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Don't need anything with a # infront of (or around) it, but if you look at your current gps.conf file, you will probably find that it is a LOT shorter than that. I found that the gps.conf file reverted to something similar when I flashed a new ROM too.

I think you should be able to make a copy of the file using Root Explorer, which you should then be able to store a copy of on your SD card and replace each time you flash a ROM.

8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

For info... this thread actually reminded me that I hadn't changed my gps.conf file since flashing an ICS ROM. I changed it and then went out @ lunch in one of the company cars.

I knew my route, but went in to google maps anyway. Asked it to navigate from my current location to the town where I had to go for banking and it worked like a charm... even in the car!!

9. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

do i need to get Root Explorer or will Astro or ES File Explorer be ok ?

10. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

Also , for this method: AGPS Patch DesireHD 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS - xda-developers

you can flash this file named Download the Google Specific CWM Flashable

but i dont understand how ? Method 3 (easiest if you use a compatible version of CWR or CWM)*:
    1. Download the patch
    2. Boot into CWR (Clockwork Recovery)
    3. Mount /system/ partition (on the main menu, select the "Mounts and storage" option, then "mount /system")
    4. Flash the patch (on the main menu, select "Install zip from sdcard," then "choose zip from sdcard," and find the zip and select it)
    5. Reboot the device
    6. Review the NOTES section.

actually , I think i get it , but any clarification will be appreciated muchly

11. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I tried with ES File Explorer (if you see the thread I linked) and was told that ES doesn't let you mount as R/W (which is why it wouldn't work). To me, the

12. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Method 3 for the GPS patch you have linked looks easy enough... just follow the steps and it should all go to plan.

That method is also mentioned in the thread I linked above (this post and this post).

As I said though, I haven't done that... only the method that involved changing the gps.conf file manually.

13. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

You're UK based, right? You wouldn't be able to send me your gps.conf file for me to replace my original?

14. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Yes, I'm UK based.

I just tried to upload it to dropbox, but it only opens as a text file!

Will have another look this evening!!

Mehta23 likes this.
  15. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

If you do that, will I still need Root Explorer? Might spend that two quid in CWM touch ;-)

16. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert

You can use ES file explorer in 'root explorer' mode which can mount the system as writable. You can find this in settings towards the bottom

D-U-R-X likes this.
  17. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

would it not make more sense to copy and paste the code from the XDA thread into notepad, edit it on my computer , and then send the .conf file to my phone?

18. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

ClockWorkMod Touch shouldn't cost anything... it's just an upgrade to ClockWorkMod (I think it's free)...

If you can set the system to R/W in ES File Explorer, then you should be able to sort the gps.conf file yourself (without having to buy Root Explorer).

I have tried to get the file from dropbox to download, but it only shows as text... it doesn't take long to edit the file! Will have another go though!!

19. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

so all i would need is :

NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=0.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=0.europe.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.europe.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.europe.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.europe.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

DEBUG_LEVEL =0

INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

ACCURACY_THRES=0

REPORT_POSITION_USE_SUPL_REFLOC=1

ENABLE_WIPER=1

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
    SUPL_PORT=7276
    SUPL_NO_SECURE_PORT=3425
    SUPL_SECURE_PORT=7275
    SUPL_TLS_HOST=FQDN
    SUPL_TLS_CERT=/etc/SuplRootCert

C2K_HOST=c2k.pde.com
    C2K_PORT=1234

CURRENT_CARRIER=common
    DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
    DEFAULT_SSL_ENABLE=FALSE

DEFAULT_USER_PLANE=TRUE

20. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

That looks right to me ;)

21. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Did you do it Mehta23? Have you tried your GPS out?

22. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

Made the gps.conf file, gonna send it from my computer to phone later.... Supposed to be revising now so

23. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

Copied the file to system /etc. Restated the phone. Got a com.Android.Phone error. Then opened up gps status, got one satélite after a fair few minutes.
    Edit : put the phone nearer to the windows, got 6 in around 20 seconds - accuracy to around 60m

Looking back at the gps.conf file, what's supposed to be on the first line and is there anything else I can do to make my GPS better?

24. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I edited the file on my phone n all was fine.

As for making it better... think you can change the accuracy thresh (had a conversation with the guy on XDA who sorted the info about it)... he said you could, but nobody had done.

At least the GPS works now :)

25. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Android Enthusiast

I just found adding this bit......

NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=0.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.uk.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.uk.pool.ntp.org

........made a difference! I got an amazing 10/11 sats.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews