1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS on EVO 4G fails outside USA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JeffinCA, Aug 14, 2012.

1. JeffinCA

JeffinCA Member

I recently visited Sint Maarten in the Caribbean and noticed that the GPS in my EVO 4G was not working correctly.

Not only did it take far longer to get a lock, the reported position, speed and altitude were incorrect.

I took some pictures of the various screens in my CoPilot navigation software that shows the problem. My camera has a GPS built-in and the JPEG Comment fields have location information that is accurate to about 50 feet. If you want to see where I actually was when I took the pictures, IrfanView and other picture viewers will link to Google Earth (you'd have to download the picture from Flickr).

Please note that I did have better satellite views (3 above the mid-line) the day before when I didn't have my camera available, and the reported status was worse (500+ mph and an altitude over 1,500 feet when I was barely above sea level).

The GPS chip in the phone provides text strings with latitude, longitude, speed, altitude, etc., so I can't blame the navigation software.

A small photo album on Flickr shows some of what I saw. EVO 4G GPS Errors - a set on Flickr

Has anyone noticed (or explained) this behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. acunn1

acunn1 Newbie

I was going to suggest the network you were on having anything to do with the error...

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews