1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS only sees one satellite

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdjjwilliams, Dec 23, 2011.

1. sdjjwilliams

sdjjwilliams Lurker

Somehow since last night, my VM670 now only sees one GPS satellite. I have rebooted, removed the battery, uninstalled one app I had installed in the meantime - no good.

I am running CyanogenMod-7.2.0-RC0, bobzhome-11182011.

Is there any way of testing my GPS radio?

TIA,
    Scott

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. brotherswing

brotherswing Android Expert

Try this, pull the battery then hold down the power button for thirty seconds. Then power back up and try again.

3. sdjjwilliams

sdjjwilliams Lurker

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, twice, still nothing. Cannot even see the one satellite now. Is there a cache folder somewhere to clear (or something like that)?

Scott

4. brotherswing

Not for hardware like that. You could try booting into the recovery and clear your cache and dalvik. Failing that, if you have a back up you could restore it. Failing that you could give it a fresh flash. I've seen plenty of solid state components fail, but not a GPS radio. Not that it's impossible, just very, very unlikely.

5. sdjjwilliams

sdjjwilliams Lurker

That's what I thought as well, just did not know what to clear. Maybe I'll take this opportunity to try the mod you have.

Thanks again for your help.

6. sdjjwilliams

sdjjwilliams Lurker

UPDATE:
    wiped everything, flashed BACKside 1221, still no GPS. Wiped everything again, got the Stock ROM, still no GPS. Found a neat tool that also tests the other sensors, called Data Monitor by Yigiter Yuksel. Turns out my other sensors (Orientation, Magnetic Field, Accelerometer and Proximity) appear not to work as well. My screen will not even change to landscape when I reposition the phone, so maybe they are all in one component, and that component failed.
    Off to BestBuy to see if they'll swap it out for me!
    Regards,
    Scott

7. sdjjwilliams

sdjjwilliams Lurker

UPDATE: Since I did not buy the $20 Best Buy additional warranty, anything past 30 days cannot be handled by them. So I called Virgin Mobile, and surprise, surprise, in about 3 minutes they shipped a replacement phone to me!
    Scott

8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

LG covers the warranty for a full year. Virgin Mobile sent you a refurbished phone.

9. brotherswing

Glad you got it squared away.

sdjjwilliams likes this.
  10. Thorsten

Thorsten Android Enthusiast

Please learn to post to the correct forum! This belongs in All Things Rooted. Thank you for not confusing casual users for whom issues with rooted phones are irrelevant.

11. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

Did you rtfp? This had nothing to do with rooting, it had to do with hardware failure. Just because someone is rooted doesn't automatically mean that is the problem. You're quick to admonish, slow to read.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews