1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support GPS Only When Needed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skytower31, Apr 30, 2010.

1. skytower31

skytower31 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Hello,
    I got my Incredible today. Coming from the Moto Droid. When I had GPS turned on on the Droid it would only show the GPS icon at the top when an app was asking to use the GPS (maps, etc). When I would exit the program, the GPS icon on the top bar would go away even though GPS was still on. I thought this was a nice feature and a good way to save bettery.

It seems when I have GPS switched on via the HTC widget the GPS icon is always showing the GPS is on. Is this the case or does HTC use a different icon on the top for when it is actually using the GPS? Does it use the same power saving technique as the Moto Droid?

Thanks.

Advertisement

load97 likes this.
  2. load97

load97 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Plumber Extraordinaire
    Minnesota
    Good question. I'd like to know as well.

3. skytower31

skytower31 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Well I was playing around with it and with GPS turned on so the little plus icon has the waves radiating out from it, when you launch Maps, then the other GPS icon pops up like on the Moto Droid. So it seems to be similar to the Droid.

4. load97

load97 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Plumber Extraordinaire
    Minnesota
    What is the plus icon for exactly? I see the dish pop up for Nav, but what is that little plus icon to the right doing? For GPS as well?

5. skytower31

skytower31 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    It is your location. Whether it is 911 only or all the time.