1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GPS over BT app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g_b_h, Jan 1, 2012.

1. g_b_h

g_b_h Newbie
    None

May 22, 2010
    Has anyone tried the "GPS over BT" app (free from market) to see if the works with the Prime? Supposedly will use your phone GPS as the GPS device and link to a computer (for maps) over Bluetooth.

I can't try it till mine arrives on Tuesday from BestBuy.

Advertisement

2. g_b_h

g_b_h Newbie
    None

May 22, 2010
    Specifically, how about the:

GPS over BT: app running on phone, allows phone GPS to act a GPS the GPS receiver, and sends this info over BT to the TP.
    Bluetooth GPS mouse: app running on TP, enable "mock locations" in settings.

Bluetooth GPS Mouse - free | AppBrain Android Market

Test this with Google Maps, Sygic, etc, running on TP.

This would allow your wifi-only TP to utilize your phone's GPS, much the same way I will use my rooted HTC EVO for its data connection while in a vehicle.

If it works, this solution is fine for me. Can't wait to try it out...

3. Gatman

Gatman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Male
    Bean counter
    Cleveland, OH
    I just tried this and got it working. Here is what I had to do:

1. Installed GPS Over BT on the phone.
    2. Installed Bluetooth GPS on the Prime (get it here)
    3. Paired phone with the Prime. They showed as paired, but not connected after I did this (none of the GPS software was running when I did this).
    4. Fire up GPS Over BT on phone and get a GPS lock on the phone and turned BT on.
    5. Went back to the prime and selected "Connect" to this GPS device with the phone selected as the GPS device.

I saw the GPS data from the phone and it was solid. I can't go drive around and test right now - wife is out running errands and I've got the three rugrats. Walked around a bit and it seemed to hold on for my 2-minute test in my family room.

Have fun,

Gary

4. g_b_h

g_b_h Newbie
    None

May 22, 2010
    If you test this with Google Maps, you can enable map caching so you don't need ant type of data connection.

5. Gatman

Gatman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Male
    Bean counter
    Cleveland, OH
    Follow up - I played with this a couple minutes more before my phone battery died on me. I'm not positive Google Maps or the Navigation programs were getting the BT GPS data. I see you need to allow "mock" location data, and I enabled that, but until I can get out and give it a good test later today I don't want to absolutely say it works.

Phone is charging now, so I'll give it a spin in a couple hours.

rsmin likes this.
  6. theandies

theandies Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 15, 2011
    Field Service Engineer
    Warrenton, Va
    This would be cool if it works. I have a BT chicklet GPS BT receiver I used with my PDA and Ill try to get that to work.

7. rsmin

rsmin Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010

The andies, Let me know if that works. I was looking at done of those at Amazon. This other option on this thread looks interesting as well, I know the gps on my droidx is almost perfect. I quit using my garmin gps because the droidx gps was so good.

8. g_b_h

g_b_h Newbie
    None

May 22, 2010
    Another option for rooted phone users is TetherGPS. This doesn't use Bluetooth, it uses a tethered WiFi connection. It is a paid solution, however. $2.99. Or maybe $2.99 each for an instance on the phone and tablet.

9. n11

n11 Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    I'm finding TetherGPS is the best work-around for me. You can test it with the free lite version which works but has time restrictions. It worked very well for me.

10. theandies

None

Jan 15, 2011
    Field Service Engineer
    Warrenton, Va
    I've tried Bluetooth GPS and Bluetooth Mouse apps to connect my stand alone BT GPS receiver and it seems to work with Navigation. I'll test it better tomorrow driving to work. Standby for full report tomorrow night.

11. theandies

None

Jan 15, 2011
    Field Service Engineer
    Warrenton, Va
    Worked great.
    Used Bluetooth GPS app (Android Market https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwxLDUwMSwiZ29vZ29vLmFuZHJvaWQuYnRncHMiXQ.... ) to connect my 12 channel Pharos iGPS-500.

Check in BT GPS app that I was locked solid on 12 satellites! I'd much rather use this because it is a true GPS receiver and better than anything is a smartphone or tablet.
    [​IMG]

I used Sygic GPS Navigation for the map downloaded (free) from the market. To use off-line you need to download the state map as well.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sygic.aura#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwiY29tLnN5Z2ljLmF1cmEiXQ..

I made sure both my GPS and WiFi were turned off. Followed me all the way home. If Asus ever fixes the GPS issue wouldn't matter to me. I was actually going to do this on my smartphone a while back because my GPS in it is not that good. I just never got around to doing it. I'm kind of glad the Prime has this "problem" it lit a fire under me to get this done.

There are many other solutions that work like this you just have to dig around on the www.

This is my setup unless I decide to buy map apps which are available.

12. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Koush, the developer of many things including ClockworkMod Recovery, has just released a wireless tether app for non-rooted phones. Not sure if it's free or not but I know my Prime successfully tethered to my rooted phone but I didn't test navigation

13. g_b_h

g_b_h Newbie
    None

May 22, 2010
    Actually, this appears to be a USB tether app. Wouldn't work with this tablet.

ClockworkMod Tether serves free Android USB tethering, no root required -- Engadget

andygu3 likes this.
  14. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
  15. revisions

revisions Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I've been attempting to implement this solution and neither navigation or maps is seeing the data from Bluetooth GPS, even though Bluetooth GPS itself is receiving GPS data from my phone, with an accurate lock. Navigation either demands that I turn on the unit's GPS, which provides no lock on its own (that's not the point of this) or sit at "Waiting for location..."

Are we sure navigation is getting the data from the other device via Bluetooth GPS?

16. jzk

jzk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I am using the app Bluetooth GPS by Googoo Android with the Bluetooth GPS output by Meowsbox.Works flawlessly. Use PDAnet tablet and I get internet and GPS from my HTC Thunderbolt. I can use google maps with navigation even with the satellite view on. The GPS works also with ICS which I got last night, but I haven't yet tried PDAnet tablet with ICS.

17. revisions

revisions Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012

Is this with Wifi off? I am positive google maps is not receiving data from my Bluetooth GPS. As soon as I turn on wifi, google maps starts populating.

18. jzk

jzk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I get internet via the same bluetooth connection to my HTC Thunderbolt via the app "PDAnet Tablet."

PDAnet Tablet is not perfect, as some things just don't work like market, etc. But, I am not about to pay for Verizon's hotspot feature.

19. revisions

revisions Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012

I use a different data tethering solution, myself, and would like the option to only tether GPS.. I'm somewhat convinced that your Google navigation is using wifi data to do this work. On my tablet I can see my phone's gps just fine in GPS testing apps, but when I try to launch google navigation it tells me to turn on my tablet's gps device, which is what this whole process was designed to avoid.

20. jzk

jzk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Try the solution that I listed. Works great. I am not getting internet via wifi, nor am I getting GPS data via wifi. I am getting everything via bluetooth. I have several GPS apps, and they all work great. I really wanted to get Navionics Charting software to work, and it does.

Just to reiterate, my GPS solution is separate from my data solution, but they both use bluetooth.

21. theandies

None

Jan 15, 2011
    Field Service Engineer
    Warrenton, Va
    After the ICS update I tried BT GPS app and it worked fine. Then I opened Sygic GPS Navigation and it said my trial period had ended. Going to try some other GPS Nav apps to see which one I like first before purchase.

22. fuzzer

fuzzer Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    You need to make sure you enable "mock location" on the TP...

23. revisions

revisions Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Mock locations have been enabled for me throughout this process.

I will attempt jzk's suggestion of meowsbox, though I remain skeptical that a different set of data from the phone will make it through Bluetooth GPS on the tablet, when it did not in the first place. I've tried this with a droid 3 and an OG droid, and my prime pretended not to have any gps data *within navigation* no matter the configuration. GPS Test and GPS Status both show a lock with accurate data. Google Navigation plays dumb, however and won't do anything until I turn on the Prime's GPS receiver - I reiterate that mock locations are enabled. I suppose an alternative mapping app could be the answer, but the ideal would be to have Navigation working, because I'm familiar with it from my phones.

update: Tried jzk's meowsbox solution -- again, data received by Bluetooth GPS on the prime, launch Navigation app and it says "Gps is disabled, show location settings"? - why is my navigation not seeing data from Bluetooth GPS? Prime is running 4.0.3

24. fuzzer

fuzzer Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    location services are all enabled on my TP, haven't tried to do this with them off, i see no need since it works...just enable them....

25. jzk

jzk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Keep your prime's gps on and set Bluetooth GPS on the prime to allow "mock locations." You can set this also in the developer options of your prime's settings to allow mock locations also.