• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gps problem, please help, I tried everything

gpSTOM

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
I have Samsung Galaxy S2. My GPS doesn't work. It just says "Waiting for location" the whole time. At first when I bought phone, I think it worked correctly, but now no. I tried: androidng.com/fix-galaxy-s-gps and similar stuff, nothing helped. Please help me, I really need GPS enabled.

P.S. I installed a few apps for battery savings, I disabled them now, maybe it was a cause? But it still doesn't work. I could reset everything probably, but then my apps would be deleted, right?

Thank you very much.

I'm sorry but this is a known issue with Samsung phones. Samung continues to make phones with bad GPS chips. I know your pain. I have the infamous samsung droid charge. When you contact Samsung they say they'll make a fix but never do so that you can buy a newer phone from them. All I can say is boycott future samsung phones.

Upvote 0
It took me about a week of searching it find out how to fix the gps. Mine is now working so I thought I would share.
These are the things I did.
* Root your galaxy s2 (Google how to do it, there are lots of pages and videos. I had to try a few kernels before I found one that worked for me.)
* install "gps status" from play store.
* Turn off all screen locks - set to none.
* turn off phone
* turn on phone
* run gps status.
* turn lock screen back on.
This should now work. I also then downloaded "triangle away" it cost a few dollars from play store but worth it, and run the rest flash counter in "triangle away" now it looks like your phone has never been rooted and will still be under warranty.
Rooting the phone was the hardest part. One part you have to download a file strait to the phone so when you go in the special boot screen you have to go to install from sd card /downloads folder. I had to copy and past it to the download folder on the sd card cos it say the it has a internal sd card. So it's like it has 2 sd cards. So I made sure there was a copy in both.
Also I pretty sure the gps status compass is not pointing in the right direction. But my gps is now working.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
GPS can still have errors. Accuweather (purchased) simply cannot find my exact location using GPS. Intellicast, Sky Safari, Mobile Observatory, Vortex, SkEye and even Weatherbug can.

It also doesn't let me add location by using coordinates, either. In this case, it's the app since all the others work. (enabling using towers doesn't help)

Upvote 0
GPS Status ROCKS! My GPS signal began slowly degrading about 4 months ago on a 3 yr old s2 - to the point where in the last few days it stopped tracking all together. Almost threw the damn thing out the car window today. So, after getting home, downloaded GPS Status as recommended above and within seconds I had a GPS signal! Hope it lasts!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones