• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS Question - Too Good To Be True?

Really basic question about GPS in Androids...

Monday I buy my first smartphone EVER... HTC Desire. Can't wait! Thing is.. I am completely green about the inner workings and have a question about the GPS...

Basically how does it work? :)

Is it just like having a GPS from Magellan etc.? Or is it based on cell phone tower triangulation etc. Thing is... it sounds like it is a seperate system that talks to a gps sattelite.. but that seems "too good to be true"... I can get a fully functional GPS in my cell phone???? I just pee'd a little.

Also how well does it work outside major urban areas? I would love to take it hiking in remote areas.. but do you need a signal from a tower to use the gps or can it still use the GPS portion independant?

Thanks.

Yes it is true. U turn on the GPS settings and it connects to GPS satellites. U can use the wireless networks too, but the GPS satellites should be better, more accurate.

This is what made me want an Android phone: the free GPS. Didnt wanna pay a subscription for this cuz I dont use it that much.

I just got an X. I have an orig Droid too. Besides using it for Wifi, I will keep my Droid as a stand alone GPS, even tho I have GPS in the X too. I just tested it; even with my Droid not activated, ( I cant make calls on it cuz I have the X activated) I can still get a GPS lock.

Welcome to the World of Android.

Reactions: DroidIsMyFirstCell
Upvote 0
Edit: How is the accuracy in remote rural areas, like say 3-4 hours away from a city?

Wrong question, location isn't important for GPS. It is important for using programs that rely on the internet for map display though. If you are in areas with no signal your GPS will work, but you'll need a program that stores maps on the phone to make use of it.

Reactions: DroidIsMyFirstCell
Upvote 0
As long as you have a clear view of the sky, you should get a very accurate lock. I've seen it get as accurate as 8 feet (2.4384 meters) before. Also, get a GPS test app like GPS Test by Chartcross Ltd. Its very detailed. It gives accuracy, what and how many satellites you are connected to and strength, speed, and global coordinates and heading among other things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones