1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GPS question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Red Devil, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Red Devil

Red Devil Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Male
    Software Engineer
    San Diego, CA
    I know for a fact that the Thunderbolt has an in-built GPS receiver, but does it have maps stored on it as well? For instance, if I go to a place where there is no 3G\4G connection (like some national parks for instance), can I still use the GPS for turn-by-turn navigation?

I have an old Garmin GPS lying around that I rarely use and I was thinking of selling it for cheap. Should I still hang on to it?

Advertisement

2. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Google maps is not stored locally on the phone, it needs a data connection. VZ Navigator is stored on the phone. There are also 3rd party GPS apps that store all of the map data onto the phone.

3. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    There are some apps you can get (free / paid) that will download maps for offline access. Other times, it depends on how you're areas are. When I use google navigation, it pre-caches the local area, and even when I drop coverage while driving, it still covers me, and catches up when I get signal again.

The advantage of the phone, is mostly up-to-date information, whereas you'd have to upgrade your maps on your garmin. (I use both in my car half the time)