1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

GPS Reporting App

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Android Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012
    Male
    On-site Computer & Network Service
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    I need a GPS reporting app for someone who frequently drives alone for great distances away from home. We're worried that something bad could happen (like run off the road and not be noticed).

What would be ideal is an app that would report her position about once or twice per hour to an e-mail address. We don't need real-time reporting as that would eat up the battery too much.

There are so many of these tracking apps out there that I hope someone can suggest a few that that they know to be reliable (that they have actually tried) so we won't have to install a dozen or thirty just to try them out.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If she keeps the phone on, and you know the password to her gmail account (and can log into it), you can use Android Device Manager - locate your phone to locate her any time you want.

I don't know of any app that will send periodic emails.

3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    You can also use Google+ Pinpoint Locations in the settings.

One thing I have is AutomateIt (free from Play Store) set up to send a text with GPS info everytime I send the word "location" (actually, first I send it a text that says "gps on"). Using this method, you would have to be proactive and text every hour.

Another possibility is Glympse, but that is real time and would probably be a battery concern.

Also, you may be able to use Tasker to automate sending GPS info.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Android Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012
    Male
    On-site Computer & Network Service
    Birmingham, Alabama USA
    Gosh, it seems that with over 200 apps at the Google store, there would be at least one that would automatically report periodically.

5. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Most of the apps at the Play store were written because the developer wanted an app to do something he wanted done. Once he got it working and looking nice, he figured that he'd let others have it, or that he could make a little money from it. VERY few apps are written because someone else needed something done. It's been that way since long before Bob Wallace coined the term shareware in the early 80s.

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Seconding this suggestion. Once you set it up (basically just configuring who location updates will be shared with), you can always check real-time location information for your particular Person of Interest. You can also set up "Commute Sharing", which can generate a Google Now notification when your POI leaves work/school and arrives at home.

Alternatively, it wouldn't be hard to configure Tasker to do what you want. I'd suggest using the AutoLocation plugin, which you can easily configure to enable a certain profile when driving is detected. That profile would then set a timer (30 minutes, perhaps) and automatically email/text you precise location information as long as the "driving" activity is detected.

7. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Did you happen to read what the OP was asking for? He doesn't want a GPS diagnostic app (which GPS Essentials is a great example of), but instead wants automated remote location reporting.