1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GPS Signal Lost

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dave0813, Jan 21, 2014.

1. dave0813

dave0813 Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2013
    Has anyone have the problem with your GPS signal being lost? I have the most recent update but I cannot go longer the 7 minutes without the dreaded "GPS Signal is Lost". And I have tried several areas and I still have the same problem.

Any comments or suggestions or links to a common fix?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Never had the problem, and I've driven more than 7 minutes with nav running. Sounds like maybe a heat problem in the GPS receiver.

3. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2012
    Male
    Dish washer/ Line cook in training @ german restau
    Philly
    I had to have my Note 3 replaced because if the GPS.

4. pdqgp

pdqgp Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2013
    Male
    Sales Director
    Mine only seems to do this with Google Maps if I jump on a phone call at the same time.

If I run another GPS app and use the phone, no issues. Can't figure it out. More testing later.

Note 3 on AT&T

5. kuddus

kuddus Member
    None

Nov 2, 2013
    Female
    Check out GPS Status and Fix from the Play Store.

pdqgp likes this.
  6. pdqgp

pdqgp Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2013
    Male
    Sales Director
    Purchased GPSFix and will give it a try.

7. pdqgp

pdqgp Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2013
    Male
    Sales Director
    still no help. the whole note 3 GPS thing is definitely related to AT&T's files for the GPS. None of my coworkers with the same Verizon or T-Mobile Note 3's have this issues. I tested it extensively on my business travels this week and they way to 100% prove it was easy. Put the phone in Airplane mode, then turn on GPS and Bluetooth (to get sound through my car stereo). This will 100% disable the cell phone portion but will show that the GPS will indeed work just fine. ZERO drops in GPS Signal doing this. However, I'm without my phone being turned on. That's okay for me for now as I really shouldn't be driving, talking and navigating all at the same time. However, it's a band aid and I really do need my phone on in case a customer or appointment calls while I'm in route. It also forces me to use Sygic or TomTom with preloaded maps vs Google Maps that need cell tower reception to pull down data/graphics. I can do this but again, a work around that shouldn't be required.

The end cause for me is when the phone cell towers jump from LTE to 4G or back again. If that's allowed to happen, 100% the GPS will drop. Good news is after a couple minutes it comes back, but it's not good when I'm navigating around and it drops.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.