1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GPS Software

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by derrabe, Jun 14, 2011.

1. derrabe

derrabe Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Unemployeed :(
    South East Michigan
    What is the best TBT (turn by turn) software that you use on your indulge. I have been using Sygic GPS Navigation and I have been loving it mostly because it allows you to downloads the specific maps so you dont need a IC in order to do routing and it reroutes on the fly. So what do you use. I am not advertising just looking to see what most users use.

Advertisement

2. INSURGENCY

INSURGENCY Member
    None

May 20, 2011
    Google maps. Is that what you are referring to?

3. derrabe

derrabe Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Unemployeed :(
    South East Michigan
    I didn't like using Google maps because when i got out of 4g area it took forever to update the maps and directions. I was looking for a local stored maps option for my personal use, I got a few times a year out to the "sticks" in rural area with out hardly any cell service so reliable quick maps is important

4. INSURGENCY

INSURGENCY Member
    None

May 20, 2011
    I see what you are saying. That's actually pretty cool that you can download the maps. i have that same problem sometimes, I will have to check that out.

5. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    For what it is worth rumor has it that Google Maps will be getting true offline functionality this summer. Personally though I bought CoPilot ($6 something in the market) and it has worked pretty well when I've needed it.

As for other navigation software I use - I am a fan of Waze.

6. jr2673

jr2673 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    Computer Repair!
    Homestead,FL
    Navigon #1 i have it on the phone And on my ipod touch before i bought this phone ...

If you need any info i can hook you up. just pm me...

7. Chivesh

Chivesh Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Hi all. First time I've used Maverick and BigPlanet. Maverick seems to be very comfortable and easy. But there was no possibility to save the map by setting the center and the radius (as, for example, in BigPlanet) and sometimes it had trouble with saving of tracks (if the signal GPS was lost, the track turned out to be flawed). My friend have advised me program Galileo. I was very pleased to have an abbility to adjust the data to display and set the action when you click on the compass icon. Program writes tracks correctly, even when you lose signal, the track is recorded correctly and completely. Once during a trip battery was discharged and phone have turned off. After recharging and swithing on the telephone program have opened and displayed track!!! In addition, you can see direction to the north on the compass and direction to the point of the beginning of motion and can be put various information on display. I've also found a program for downloading maps for this app (http://barsx.narod.ru/Source/MapSaver.jar). But programm Galileo uses own format for tracks (.gpp) and can't load tracks in .gpx or .kml format. I hope, in future author will add other formats.

8. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast
    None

I thought Google Navigation saved/downloaded your route when you began? So if you lose internet connection, you still have your directions. In other words, you only need internet connection when starting your journey.

Am I mistaken? Or maybe you guys are looking for something that is completely free of internet connection altogether...

Personally, I love the Google Navigation that comes standard on the phone. :) Sure you need data connection, but the flip side is that you have always the latest map data (on Google's servers), with no need to update.

9. Chivesh

Chivesh Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    But changing your location can lead to reroute. Google Navigation can't do it if you don't have connection to internet. In this case you need programm with predownloaded vector map.

10. cigar7

cigar7 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    Can anyone recommend an app for the galaxy s2 that provides offline navigation using garmin GPS based maps? I have a pile of unlocked maps that work in a garmin GPS and I 'd to continue using them in the S2 without a data connection.

11. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    This forum is for the Samsung Galaxy Indulge, not the SGSII, but since they both are android phones, in theory, all you need is an android app on the market that could read Garmin Maps and you'd be all set, no matter what android-powered device you're running.
    However, I'm not sure such app exists on the marketplace due to copyright issues... I'd be quite shocked if it did. However, you will find a variety of (mostly paid) GPS navigation apps on the market that can fulfill your offline needs.
    Just enter GPS offline maps as a search term on the market.