• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS sometimes stops working

ragnarkar

Jan 20, 2011
Southern California
I frequently use the GPS apps on my Samsung intercept and found that I cannot get a GPS signal sometimes. Even restarting the phone doesn't work.. the GPS will get a signal for maybe for a minute before it stops working again.

When my GPS stops, I go into the "GPS Test" app and it says 0 satellites visible.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to happen more often in the afternoon when my phone's battery is slightly below 50% capacity. The GPS simply refuses to work consistently.

The Intercept seems to do better with GPS when "use wireless networks" (under location and security settings) is on, and when mobile data is on. They are supposed to help get the initial fix.

You might also try turning the phone off and pulling the battery.

However, this sounds suspiciously like a hardware GPS problem to me.

Upvote 0
It may not work correctly indoors, you need a clear view of the sky. Also, are you able to determine your location through GPS in the Maps app?? (open Maps > press Menu > My Location)

It still doesn't work correctly despite having a clear view of the sky! When this happens, Maps tries to estimate my location but cannot give any precise location.

Upvote 0
It still doesn't work correctly despite having a clear view of the sky! When this happens, Maps tries to estimate my location but cannot give any precise location.

It's seems like a hardware problem :eek:. I would suggest to reset the Maps app; from your Home screen then Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Filters. then press "All". Scroll through the list of applications and select the Maps app. From this screen, press "Clear cache" and "Force stop". This will reset the application. After you've done this, fire up Maps again and see if you can get a GPS fix.
hope this works :)

Upvote 0
1) Orange County, CA (USA)

2) Not rooted but considering it (esp if it might help fix this.)

I'll suggest two other things you might try based on these answers.

Because Android devices tend to be international in their markets, the devices are often set up with a file of GPS servers that is also international. What that means is your GPS is working with all sorts of servers instead of the U.S. servers or North America servers. This is true of my Toshiba Thrive. Some of the Thrive experts have discovered that restricting servers to the user's country or region and making other minor tweaks to the gps.conf file fixes lock or slow fix problems. But you need to be rooted to fix the file. I'd guess this applies to the Intercept too, but I'm only guessing.

Second, did you know that the GPS system learns each time you use it? I very much like the app GPS Status and Toolbox that allows you to delete all the data stored in the GPS chip and reset the GPS. There's also a tool in the app to upload orbital data for the satellites that's good for about four days. I've found these two tools to speed up things for me on both the Intercept and the Thrive. And you don't need to be rooted.

So I'd try the app as a minimum, but I still think you may have a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
I tried the GPS Status and Toolbox app.. the next time my GPS "froze" with no explanation, I reset it with that app and it came back to life! I'm not sure if this will work consistently in the future but I'll report back..

I'll suggest two other things you might try based on these answers.

Because Android devices tend to be international in their markets, the devices are often set up with a file of GPS servers that is also international. What that means is your GPS is working with all sorts of servers instead of the U.S. servers or North America servers. This is true of my Toshiba Thrive. Some of the Thrive experts have discovered that restricting servers to the user's country or region and making other minor tweaks to the gps.conf file fixes lock or slow fix problems. But you need to be rooted to fix the file. I'd guess this applies to the Intercept too, but I'm only guessing.

Second, did you know that the GPS system learns each time you use it? I very much like the app GPS Status and Toolbox that allows you to delete all the data stored in the GPS chip and reset the GPS. There's also a tool in the app to upload orbital data for the satellites that's good for about four days. I've found these two tools to speed up things for me on both the Intercept and the Thrive. And you don't need to be rooted.

So I'd try the app as a minimum, but I still think you may have a hardware issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones