1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root GPS status icon changed/disappeared

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nwh10, May 28, 2011.

1. nwh10

nwh10 Member
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    USA
    [To the moderator: I'm not sure if this is a root problem or not. Please move if necessary.]

Froyo 2.2, Velocity 1.1

Something has messed up my GPS status icon. It used to look like a satellite dish beaming a signal to the sky. Now, if it appears at all, it's solid circle with an outer circular border. It looks kind of like a compass. At the N, S, E, W positions, there's a short straight line pointing NSEW respectively. The inner circle flashes when the app is getting a lat/lon fix.

Some GPS apps, such as Google Maps, cause this compass icon to display continuously while the app is running. Other apps cause the icon to display while obtaining a fix, and then the icon disappears.

So what happened to the satellite dish icon? Did Velocity or some other app change it? And why does the compass icon display intermittently? I don't use GPS apps often enough to know when it changed or what I might have installed/configured to cause the change.

The GPS-enabled apps are:

Google Maps
    MyCast Lite
    Accuweather
    Compass (Catch, Inc.)
    GPS Test (Chartcross)
    Navigation
    MapDroyd
    GPS Essentials (Michael Schollmeyer)
    My Directions
    Google SkyMap

Ideas welcome.

Advertisement

2. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    Google Maps/Navigation are constantly pulling data with the GPS thats why it stays on whereas weather apps and such display it for a few and it disappears because they just need to get the location when it updates itself. Velocity 1.1 changed the icon to a compass. Its not a problem at all. Its just a normal feature.

nwh10 likes this.
  3. nwh10

nwh10 Member
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    USA
    Thank you!

Tags: