• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS tracker for tracking kid with latitude

outoffocus

Feb 12, 2010
Hi,

My kids are <8 so forget the moral aspect of the story for a moment. We are moving to the 3rd world this year. Looking at tracker options. I'd like the option to track them in some situations if possible.

I'd like it to be a small wrist watch or something I can put in clothes as they'll never hold on to their phones.

I consider myself a pretty decent googler... but have not found anything close. I want it to work on Latitude, or at least some kind of 3rd party Android app.

Anyone? Thanks!

I am not sure that a GPS watch will transmit a real-time signal about where the receiver is located. I think it just lets you upload a track after-the-fact.

How about something like this, which is used for tracking dogs or other property?

Zoombak ZMBK346 Advanced GPS Universal Locator

There is a monthly service plan that goes with something like this and it might not work in some areas since it requires access to cellular service. Not sure if there is an android app that will link directly with it, but you could probably access it through a web browser.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Found similar junk to those. Most of the product offerings really are sub par judging from the reviews. There has to be a simple GPS thingy that can be seen on google Latitude right? Stuffing a phone in his diaper is probably not the way to go.. Tho going with the smallest android phone available might be something to try..

Guess the next question is what phone and the question after than, does it make sense to have mobile phones radiating my kiddies (assuming I can figure out a way to stash them)?

Upvote 0
I honestly think your assumptions of finding a "simple" gps tracking unit might stem from a few too many action flicks. I wouldn't really expect there to be a product out there that is just easily purchased by just anybody, for obvious reasons.

Even real time cell phone tracking is generally done by triangulating distances from cell towers. I am sure there is GPS tracking too, but the battery wouldn't last half the day.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the links. What a bunch of crapware for the most part. 500 bucks for a stupid proprietary device to track your car?? Might as well throw an extra android phone in your trunk..

Some company needs to build a cheap tiny hardward device that can log on and get tracked with latitude. Should not be to difficult and judging from all the junk products out there, there is a market.

Upvote 0
Some company needs to build a cheap tiny hardward device that can log on and get tracked with latitude. Should not be to difficult and judging from all the junk products out there, there is a market.

A niche market, at best. The products are probably all junk BECAUSE there isn't a large enough market. A large company isn't going to delve into making a quality product because there is a market. That market has to be really good, too. Personally, I am not surprised this market is where it is. There just aren't THAT many people wanting to track individuals. FWIW I have heard the units that are meant to be instlled in fleet trucks/vehicles are actually really good.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the links. What a bunch of crapware for the most part. 500 bucks for a stupid proprietary device to track your car?? Might as well throw an extra android phone in your trunk..

Everything seems simple when you're not aware of the details. How is this device going to communicate its location? Odds are that it will require some sort of subscription unless you know of some free indefinite communications solution that is reliable and doesn't consume excessive amounts of power.

Upvote 0
Everything seems simple when you're not aware of the details. How is this device going to communicate its location? Odds are that it will require some sort of subscription unless you know of some free indefinite communications solution that is reliable and doesn't consume excessive amounts of power.
There are emergency locators that don't require a subscription service and work anywhere. However, they are usually quite large and aren't exactly pocketable, since they are mainly intended for people who are in remote areas that get lost and such and need to broadcast signals back to a satellite. Definitely not watch sized.

Unfortunately, the OP's idea, while well intended, is a bit far off from being practical, and would definitely not be cheap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones