1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GPS Tracking

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Toddlynn, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Toddlynn

Toddlynn Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2017
    I have an old phone (ZTE Z667G) that I use as a dedicated GPS in my car. I use the offline navigation app, Sygic, because It requires no internet connection. There is no sim card in the phone. I download maps and apps at home when I can connect it to WiFi. I would like to if there is a way to use this phone as a GPS tracker so I can use my primary phone (Samsung Galaxy Express Prime) to track the location of my dedicated GPS phone (the ZTE). I figure that it must be possible, because I believe every phone has a unique GPS signature. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It will only be possible if your ZTE can report it's location, i.e. if it has an internet connection. Otherwise how can your other phone get the information (the GPS chip having a unique id doesn't help if the information cannot be passed back).

3. Toddlynn

Toddlynn Lurker
    None

Sep 4, 2017
    I just thought that MAYBE there was some level of communication through the satellites used for GPS triangulation. Oh well. That's what I get for thinking lol.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, the GPS chip on your phone is a receiver. It certainly doesn't retransmit both it's ID to the satellites, and even if it did they'd have to retransmit the locations of every other GPS device within their sight for that to give you a way of tracking it - which would of course mean that everyone could track anyoje else (including all those military devices that use it).