• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS/traveling with this phone sucks

Ok. I've learned a lot in the past 2 weeks about the moment and android in general but I used to be a blackberry user outside of my venture with the palm pre and web os. I LOVE android so far. But I am noticing that this phone is horrible for gps and traveling regardless of what settings I mess with or what rom or kernel I have. I think its due in part to sprints shotty service but it can't be all sprints fault. The phone freezes,stalls,or generally takes forever to load data or gps while on the road. Its a shame cuz I love everything else about this phone. My BB (tour and a couple curves) did everything perfect including gps and with the exception of the web browser. People hate on RIMs outdated os but it does what its supposed to do and does it well (at least in my expirience). Anyway enough about blackberry. My point is, is there anything I can do about this crap? Or should I try a newer android? For data and gps the phone only seems to work good when I'm stationary and becomes completley inoperable otherwise and that sucks......what shall I do?I currently am using the froyo rom.....is there ne roms that focused on fixing this problem?

GPS reception and radio lockup issues are this phones Achilles heel. Unfortunately, the problem is hardware and cannot be fixed. A few people have reported acceptable gps performance, so getting the phone swapped for a better one might be in order. The general consensus seems to be that the gps sucks and Samsungs poor design is the culprit. I've played with several Moments and all exibited the same generally poor gps reception.

Upvote 0
GPS reception and radio lockup issues are this phones Achilles heel. Unfortunately, the problem is hardware and cannot be fixed. A few people have reported acceptable gps performance, so getting the phone swapped for a better one might be in order. The general consensus seems to be that the gps sucks and Samsungs poor design is the culprit. I've played with several Moments and all exibited the same generally poor gps reception.
But like OP said, the GPS worked pretty good for me through CL14. It
s been after 2.1 tht the GPS has gotten pretty bad though mine does seem to work better after a full day on the interceptor ROM.

Upvote 0
Damn this really sucks. IDK i enjoy the phone too much to get rid of it for that i guess. It has the best speakers ive had on any phone so far and my tours speakers were nice. At least I can get regular text maps through the google map lol .I just wish there was a copy and paste feature in the app so i dont have to keep the app open and running just to view text.

Upvote 0
Has to be a hardware issue because my GPS works fine. However, I do open GPS Test first if the phone has been off or reset as it seems to help the phone lock in faster. Other than that it tracks fine for me. Even inside the house it shows me that I am in my house. I have never had it show me in another state or country like some people report or on another street. Sprint Nav works fine as well. Oh, I do have the "use wireless networks" option turned off under location settings.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Sprint Navagation app and it has worked quite well for me. It has never shown me in another state or country. It does not seem to track me inside of my house like my Magellan GPS does, but when I step outside & get in the car it has no problem finding me. Maybe it's the reception area that I live in. I have not been out of the state since I've had this phone, so I don't know how it will work in other areas of the country. There is sometimes a lag of a few seconds when I turn onto another street for it to catch up. This is after 2.1. Actually, I don't recall it being any different with 1.5 or CL14.

For me, I have more of a problem with the weather channel widget updating. That seem to take forever when I first power the phone on & have it set to follow me.

Upvote 0
I am already leery of Samsung because of their overall lackluster product support, but I was still looking closely at the Epic to replace the Moment in 4 months. The 2 criteria that I had to see improved/fixed were the gps and the radio lockup issue. If the Epic has the same gps performance as the Moment, it is out o my consideration! I'm not an Evo fan because of size and battery life and if the Epic is out, I'll sit tight with the Moment till a better alternative comes along.

Upvote 0
When trying to use my GPS for navigation yesterday, I noticed that it would start to give me directions, then stop working. I stopped the navigation app, started it again, and it would stop again. I tried both the Google Nav and Sprint's app...same thing.

Went into the "GPS Status" app, and saw the GPS get a lock on satellites, but no updates after the initial fix. A reboot was the only remedy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones