1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GPS warning every time

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ~Reason~, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ~Reason~

~Reason~ Newbie
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    I'm guessing this issue isn't unique to the rezound, but coming from my OG droid it is driving me nuts.

Is there any way to turn off the warning you get every time you enable GPS? The one that implies that a terrorist will hunt you down and horribly murder you and everyone you love because you were stupid enough to turn GPS on on your phone .... Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but still, it drives me nuts.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

I just keep my locations all turned on in the Settings>Location. I don't really care if anyone is tracking me. It's not like I'm Will Smith who has some video from an ex girlfriend whose professor taped some government official murdering some person on camera.....

~Reason~ likes this.
  3. ~Reason~

~Reason~ Newbie
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    I turn it off and on for battery life. I'm in fringe areas without access to power a lot and need to run things like my tracks, so every ounce of battery I can squeeze out is important.

4. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

How long are you away from power areas? I'd say the amount of time spent turning it off and on and the device having to re-establish a GPS signal each time it's powered is probably not going to matter much (if you turn it on more than 2 times a day) in regards to power consumption. And then constantly powering up the device again, to me that would put a lot of wear on the GPS component (think of it like a very small computer, they say that it's better to leave it in Standby mode because constantly powering it off and on will wear the components out faster).

What I would do is next time you know you'll be in an area where you'll have access to recharge the phone, leave GPS on and see if you notice a difference in battery life. I suspect you're probably only realizing at most about an hour of extra battery life in a day. Don't forget that you're probably also only using 1 core to use the GPS device since I don't suspect it requires all 1.5 Mhz to run.

And finally, if you do notice that having GPS on gives you enough power for the whole day, consider getting an extra battery and charger. I love not having to worry about low batteries. I just drop in a new one, put the spent battery into the external charger, and I'm back in business.

5. BlueSnake01

BlueSnake01 Member
    None

Nov 20, 2009
    I might be wrong but the GPS only turns on when it needs to be used. I noticed no difference with the GPS on/off. If you notice on the battery status (settings, what uses battery), it shows the GPS off 99% of the time, only see it on when I go to google maps or any app related to GPS tracking.

6. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    On hiking trips when I use my phone for navigation the phone needs 20% per hour of the battery.
    My solution is a portable charger which has a internal 4400mAh battery and is 120 grams light. This 'JustMobile Gum Pro' charges my phone two times.
    So I can use my use my phone on long trips :)

Harry

7. jsmuli2

jsmuli2 Newbie
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I've yet to find a way to turn it off - aside from rooting/ROM

Droid Forums has a post or two about it and they say you either have deal with it when toggling, or just keep it on all the time. But as of now there is no "turn off GPS warning" option.

8. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    leave GPS on. uses no power until you launch an app that needs it.

9. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    I think you're right. this was established in the threads for the inc2 buit then when i came over to rezound i saw people recommending toggling gps to optimize battery life i was a bit confused.

Tags: