1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GPS Waypoints

Discussion in 'Google' started by Greg Collings, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Greg Collings

Greg Collings Lurker

Hi All, excuse my ignorance (complete newby), but I am looking for a way to add personal waypoints to a GPS application which shows my current poisition. "Navigatio" works fine on my Galaxy phone. What I need it to do is to allow me to put a whole bunch oof waypoints in, and, on another occasion, to show me my current position on a streetmap, with the nearest few waypoints to me shown on the map. For those who would like more details, it is to assist the fire service (who I am part of). Currently, when the truck stops at a fire, some poor bugger has to find the nearest waterpoint (access to the mains water supply). They get to run hundreds of metres from the truck in one direction, finally giving up at about 400m, then run back to the truck and head off in the opposite direction. By the time they are back again, they have run about a mile in full fire gear - no fun. But, if I could walk the neighbourhood with my phone during lazy time (ie NOT when there is a fire), and mark a waypoint every time I came across a waterpoint. Then, when there IS a fire, as the truck pulled up, I could look at the phone and see where we currently were on a map and the location of the nearest waterpoint. - and go straight to it, rather than have to hunt around. Is there any currently available android app which would allow me to do this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download