1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support GPS with APN disabled?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eagle132, Feb 24, 2011.

1. eagle132

eagle132 Lurker

I'm not entirely sure what turning the APN off does besides disabling 3g. I am currently abroad in London and I unlocked my phone to work with a local SIM. However I don't want to use data because it's very expensive so I disabled APN with an on/off widget. However, the GPS does not even slightly work or usually even look for satellites while the phone has no data coming to it (I used Locus to cache Google Maps of London).

I know there are many problems with the GPS on this phone, but absolutely 0 GPS anywhere is odd. Is disabling the APN also disabling the GPS? Or should I be doing something else?

Advertisement

2. eagle132

eagle132 Lurker

Actually the GPS just doesn't seem to be working at all, even with APN enabled, it only uses the wireless location. GPS Test (app) shows nothing working. Might be worth mentioning that the phone is stock and running kernel 2.6.29, eclair 2.1-update1.

And yes I know that there are tons of GPS threads but I figured this was a specific issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Android Enthusiast

If you don't want to use any data, I would recommend turning your phone to flight mode and turning on GPS and Wifi. Sounds like your GPS is one of the bad ones and will probably not get you a lock. Wifi can help get your location, but only near Wifi routers. Turn your phone into flight mode and then turn on Wifi and enable "Use wireless networks" in the Location and security settings menu. That will allow you to determine your position using Wifi.