• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS with Mobile Data Turned Off

Question for you guys:

My Commando 4G LTE is M070 build, rooted the first week of November with Kingo after the M070 update, with SuperSU, AdFree, AutoStarts and Titanium Backup installed. I didn't put this in the All Things Root section because I don't think the rooting is the cause. The ROM is still the stock M070 build, with some things frozen by TB.

I have the OsmAnd+ offline map app installed so that when I am in an area with no mobile data connection, I can use the GPS on the phone to locate my position on the offline maps that I have downloaded to the SD card. Last week I was in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. On past trips I have turned off the Mobile Data ($20.89/mb) and simply turned on the GPS, got a position fix and could follow my location on the map, get directions, etc.

This trip, the GPS would just spin endlessly and not get a position fix on the ship. I had a straight line of sight to the southern sky. I thought maybe it was all the metal surrounding me that caused that, but onshore in all three places it did the same thing. The G'Zone Sun/Moon app did the same thing, no position fix.

When I came home, with the Mobile Data turned off, I tried the same thing and it locked in a fix immediately. I'm aware that it can use A-GPS, but with mobile data turned off, it isn't getting that, is it?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input as to what could be causing this situation.

Thanks
David

First post.

I am able to use my Garmin GPS mouse and OSMAND~ without mobile data. I don't know if this is an option you'd be interested in but my GPS (BT-20) is pretty cheap on eBay these days.

It connects to the phone via Bluetooth through Bluetooth GPS (in the Play Store or fdroid - I forget where I got it) and you have to have "allow mock locations" enabled in the Developer Options settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones