1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support GPS without data connection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by therompalace, Dec 17, 2009.

1. therompalace

therompalace Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I just bought my i7500 in the excitement that it has all the features that i need (except upgrade to 2.0 OS) but it seems that GPS chip doesn't work properly.

From what I understand, GPS chip enables the phone to communicate with the GPS satellites and determine the location, without the need for data plan (EDGE, HSPA, or wifi). However, on my galaxy, I have two apps (GPS Status, GPSTest) for GPS which suppose to show my location (long, lat) but I get nothing with these apps. How come? I have enabled the 'Enable GPS Satellites' and 'Use wireless networks' (even though this shouldn't be required) in Security and Location setting and still nothing. I see the little GPS icon the status bar at the top blinking but I believe it's suppose to stay there when it actually locates itself, which its clearly not doing. I have tried in various locations where the GPS signals are pretty good so I don't think reception is a problem. Any suggestions?

I have the i7500XXII4 baseband version.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. tsphere

tsphere Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    two points:
    first, GPS works better (as in only) outdoors, so go outside and try there if you haven't already.
    second, I find that it sometimes take a few minutes to get a location, especially at first attempt.

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    it does work
    takes a long time to connect if you are indoors or have cloudy weather

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Yeah I'll confirm that it does work. :) I've fiddled a lot with GPS Status 2 when I was abroad and had therefore deliberately blocked my data connection.