1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

GPS Won't Lock after Froyo 2.2 Update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oPEEPINGTOMo, May 2, 2011.

1. oPEEPINGTOMo

oPEEPINGTOMo Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 30, 2010
    Information Technology
    TX
    For some reason my GPS will not lock on after i updated to froyo the other day.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. oPEEPINGTOMo

oPEEPINGTOMo Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 30, 2010
    Information Technology
    TX
    Nevermind I got it working finally. Before the update my GPS wouldn't lock with VZW location services turned on.

Apparently after the update I need it turned on because after I did it locked on within about 20 seconds.

I guess I will see how it holds up.

3. Leonard1818

Leonard1818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    GPS has gotten better over the last couple of updates (2.2 and whatever was before it) but it's still kind of finicky for me...

I use an app called "gps status" to clear the gps data cache on the phone. I'm not sure if it works or if it's a placebo effect.

I notice that if I'm in my car already moving, forget about it. Might as well stay lost forever cause it's never going to find any satellites and lock. But if Im walking out to the car and I set it, I can see it take anywhere from 0-30 seconds (very acceptable) to lock.

I really don't use it often enough to see any kind of patterns. I just don't like the thought that my wife can't get it to work on her phone "on the fly" if she's in a bad part of town and needs to find her way out...

4. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    USA
    I used GPS status too and it worked great on 2.1 when the native maps and GPS could not find a signal. Now with 2.2, I turn on WiFi and in 3-5 seonds it locks instantly with accuracy within 2 meters without having to use GPS status.