• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

robphelan

Aug 19, 2010
I just rec'd my captivate yesterday and I had to go downtown San Antonio to pick up my nephew.

Now, I've lived here all my life but still get confused going downtown. :thinking:

anyway, I voiced searched the hotel and the google found it on the first try. It navigated me all the way there with 100% accuracy.

The only issue is that when I took it away from the windshield area, to make a call, it lost signal. I didn't have a good place to put it, at the time, other than the dashboard - but it worked great.

I'll try it out again today & update.

I have something to ask from all of the new people here: please before you happily post threads saying your GPS works, try switching wireless assist off and see how many satts your phone sees and locks on. Do this for one week, and if you still get great lock after a week, start a new thread :)

Upvote 0
My GPS is schizophrenic.

Today, while waiting in the car, far away from wifi, but in range of at least one cellular tower, I was getting 6/7 out of 7 locks with high accuracy. This was in my hand, and not on the dash. If I shook the Captivate just a bit, it would immediately drop all the satellite locks, but then would reacquire within a few seconds. But, after a few minutes, it stopped reacquiring after shaking. There is something that is degrading the ability to maintain a lock.

Stock rom, some adjustments to the GPS settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones