1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support GPS works but no navigation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Exception3, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Exception3

Exception3 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    So, ever since upgrading to Gingerbread, I have been unable to use the Navigation part of Google Maps. I have all of my GPS setting turned on. In Google Maps, it detects my location fine. If I put an address in and press the navigate arrow, it says "Waiting for location" then shows the blue dot where I am, but says "Searching for GPS" underneath the map, and that I need to follow the directions. It will not navigate at all. I have let this thing sit for a couple of hours and it never "found" the GPS. I contacted VZW tech support, and they tell me it's a problem with the Google App, so I need to "contact" them. I cannot find a number for Google and online searches come up with nothing. Anyone else have this issue? I have done many battery pulls and a factory reset, still no change.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    that was a vzw reps way of saying i dont want to deal with this right now, contact someone else, it is not a google app problem, its the gps in the device not sending the location to the satellite, have you gone into the location and security settings and check google location services
    and standalone gps services? try that, if that doesnt work, call Customer Support again, if they tell you its a google problem, ask to speak to a manager, and get a first and last name, if you do not get resolution call back, it you will ultimately get different answers each time.

good luck to you and let us know what you find bud

3. Exception3

Exception3 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks! The person I talked to was supposed to be technical, I thought she would tell me something useful to do to fix it, instead she had me take the battery out and then do a factory reset. Right now, all the GPS settings are marked "yes" (Google location services, standalone GPS services, VZW location services) and the map shows my location if i'm just looking at the map and not trying to navigate. I will be calling back today after work to try and talk to someone else. When I tried to explain to her that this didn't start till after Gingerbread, she still passed it off as a google problem since it's a google system.

4. Davoo

Davoo Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    I have been having the same issue since the update. Sometimes it works and other times it does not. Sometimes it works and then freezes halfway through the trip. I have had my phone restart on its own while using gps also. Let me know if you find a fix. I am on my 3rd droid X but I have had this one for a long time and no problem until gingerbread.

5. monocogger

monocogger Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    I have had this problem ever since I got the phone. I've done a factory reset which hasn't changed anything. The only thing that works for me is to restart the phone right before I need to use the GPS. It will work the first time but when I close out and then go to navigate again, I have to restart the phone. It makes me want to throw the flippin' thing out the window. This is my #1 complaint about the phone. I was told that GB would fix it but it may have even made it worse. :mad:

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    I have read of this issue many times and each time I wonder the same thing but never asked, so I'll ask now.

Did any of you go back and re-calibrate the compass after the upgrade and/or factory reset?

I don't use Google maps myself but I do use the navigation software and it works fine.

7. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Orange County
    I started having this problem after the latest OS upgrade. Every time I try to use Google Maps it just says "searching for GPS". If I restart the phone GPS will work fine. The next time I go to use it it won't work again. After the OS upgrade I did a Factory Reset to fix some speed issues with the phone. It made my DX much faster, but now my GPS doesn't work. I actually don't know if the OS caused it, or the factory reset.

8. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    couple things to try....

1. Clear Data/Cache for the "Maps" application
    settings>>Applications>>Manage Applications>>All>>Maps

2. Try reinstalling the Google Maps app

3. Do you have a weather widget like Beautiful Widgets?...if so, i know Beautiful Widgets has a "force GPS for location" option...selecting this and then asking Beautiful Widgets to find your location and give you the weather...if its successful we know the GPS can find your phone...

the only issue ive personally had with Navigation since GB was that on one of the leaks (.595 i think) i got stuck with the "getting directions" message on the screen...clearing the data/cache of the app fixed that though...

9. Davoo

Davoo Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Thank you for the responses. I have tried to delete the cache and all data and reverted back to using maps 5.2. I do not know how to completely delete maps or even if that is possible. None of that helped. I just calibrated the compass and it changed my location on google maps from 5 miles to the west of me to 5 miles to the east, so that didn't help either.

I downloaded two apps to see if I could narrow down the problem to my phone or the copy of google maps. The first was Sygic navigation, an alternative navigation app. It shows my location in the same spot as google maps. The second app I downloaded is called GPS test. It shows my phone is currently receiving signal from 0 satellites. I have not tried yet but I am going to drive around with that app on and see if it changes as I am driving around. I am not around a bunch of tall buildings so I do not understand why I am not getting gps signal. This problem only started when I got gingerbread.

I also tried taking my phone into a Verizon store yesterday and they just blamed the app and said I should re-download it. I have done that about 5 times now without success. If I do not pick up satellites while driving around today I am going to call tech support and see if I can get a new phone.

10. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

Sounds to me like there is a hardware issue...and its an unfortunate coincidence that came along at the same time as your update...

I was call VZW

11. Davoo

Davoo Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Thanks. I'll give them a call.

12. Exception3

Exception3 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    I also have tried these things. I uninstalled the update for google maps. nothing. I recalibrated the compass a couple times, nothing. I have a weather app on my homescreen and it knows where I am during the day. The navigation, when I put in an address to navigate to, knows where to start but it won't follow the route. I will have to take it in to the VZW store. Seriously, you pay $300+ for a phone and $100 a month and still have to deal with this crap is ludicrous.

Thanks for everyone's help.

13. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    i understand that...but that doesn't mean its using the GPS...BW will use coarse network location (wifi and 3G) for your location unless you force it to use GPS...

this isn't really fair...there are always going to be hardware issues...its unavoidable really...you can spend $100k on a car and get a lemon...or $1million on a house and have problems...

14. Exception3

Exception3 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    I'm not trying to be unreasonable about this, it's just frustrating that this major function of this phone isn't working. My phone was also powering off randomly throughout the day, so I got a refurbished one (still within warranty) yesterday. It's still having the same issue with Google navigation. I just downloaded a navigation app that seems to be seeing my location via GPS and able to navigate (I'm stuck at work so I won't know until I get in my car if it's actually following my location) so this really seems to be a Google problem. Anyone have any advice on how to contact them for support? Thanks!

15. abhijitundergr

None

Mar 11, 2012
    Go to All Applications from Settings, Select Maps and then Remove Updates. This will remove the buggy update to Google Maps in Android Gingerbread which forces you to use GPS for navigation.
    Send your feedback if you find this useful