• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AZSports

Lurker
Nov 8, 2009
Hi all, I'm starting to become a bit frustrated with my Moment. I really want to like this thing, but between the battery glitch and the location services issue, I really have to wonder if Samsung did much testing of this phone before launch. The newest issue I'm having on my Moment is the GPS constantly being used. The little sattelite dish logo on the top bar seems to be constantly on. I have no idea why as I have no apps/widgets running that use GPS for anything. Very odd. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if Samsung/Sprint role out some much needed bug fixes/updates.

Hi all, I'm starting to become a bit frustrated with my Moment. I really want to like this thing, but between the battery glitch and the location services issue, I really have to wonder if Samsung did much testing of this phone before launch. The newest issue I'm having on my Moment is the GPS constantly being used. The little sattelite dish logo on the top bar seems to be constantly on. I have no idea why as I have no apps/widgets running that use GPS for anything. Very odd. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if Samsung/Sprint role out some much needed bug fixes/updates.

Have you installed Advanced Task Killer (there is a free version) and looked at what programs are actually running? You might find that Sprint Navigation is running, or some other program that you are not aware of that is keeping the GPS active. Secondly, you can go into the setting menu and turn off GPS if you need to. Stick with it, there will be an update out at some point that should fix the glitches. I had the Hero for 3 1/2 weeks, and switched to the Moment, and I can tell you that the glitches in the Moment are nothing compared to the problems with the Hero. Part of the problems with both phones is that android 1.5 doesn't actually support CDMA networks (which is what Sprint and Verizon use) and the support for CDMA had to be hacked into the 1.5 Android release. Once updates comes out for either of the phones that are based on 1.6 or 2.0 which do have "propper" CDMA support in them, you should see these issues resolved.

Upvote 0
Actually, out of the box, the weather widget is constantly using GPS to get your current location. You need to delete the widget then put another one on the screen, after this a menu will pop up for you to configure the widget, you need to deselect the "follow my position" option which uses GPS, the put in your current ZIP.

This is the Weather Channel widgit I am talking about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones