• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
So I'm new here, I've been browsing the forums trying to find a fix for my gps. My gps locks on in like 3.2 secs which makes this like the GT-R of phones. However, the gps doesn't ever get closer than 2200 meters. Any help out there?
Well sadly, if you are one of the ones getting inaccurate placements there seems to be little to do to fix it at this point. There are numerous threads out there on the GPS issues.

Upvote 0
I will be honest, the GPS works awesome on mine, has someone started a poll to see exactly what % of people are having GPS issues?

Try this
Turn the verizon services off, leave the other 2 on, start a trip on Nav, press home, go to GPS test, and see how accurate you are.

Can't help but think that some of them are PEBKAC issues, haha, i love that acronym. Maybe not this one, but just throwing that out there.

Inside, its a bit less accurate, slower to lock etc etc, but even then, not many issues that i would call an actual problem, i mean, how many times do you really need accurate GPS in doors anyway? Call me crazy, but i am thinking some of this is just hype.

Upvote 0
I think some have said that turning the Verizon stuff off makes it more accurate.

When I have the Verizon one turned off and I have the actual GPS on along with Google services, it locks on fast, but its waaaaayyy off. To get it right on the dot, I need to use all three including Verizon. Its kinda funny too. My Pre on Verizon had a major GPS issue as well. Verizon messed with google maps on it so that we wouldn't be able to get an accurate reading. So the "fix" for us Pre users was to open the VZ navigator app without actually buying it, and having it run in the background while we used Google maps.....

It sounds oh so familiar..

Upvote 0
Pre users was to open the VZ navigator app without actually buying it, and having it run in the background while we used Google maps.....

It sounds oh so familiar..
I wouldn't put it passed them, that is a boat load of money they will be losing once more and more people find out Google nav is better, and infinitely cheaper, hahaha! I will do some testing tonight and see what numbers i can get together to report. It's what i do, i test stuff.

Upvote 0
I can report that my issues with the GPS are not just hype. I can usually get it working with a reset, strangely enough. But I stood in the parking lot under a clear sky for 15 minutes last night before I ended up resetting to get my location. My wife's Droid (original) meanwhile, will get an accurate lock instantaneously indoors. Not that you need to get a lock indoors, but that you can. If I'm outside, it'll take me anywhere from 30s-2min to get a lock so that my navigation will start running. I really hope that a reliable fix comes out for this. What annoys me is that when I went to the vz store to check this phone out, the floor model got a good lock from inside the store within like 15 seconds. Maybe its just mine, but it seems that a lot of people are having this issue.

Upvote 0
I can report that my issues with the GPS are not just hype. I can usually get it working with a reset, strangely enough. But I stood in the parking lot under a clear sky for 15 minutes last night before I ended up resetting to get my location. My wife's Droid (original) meanwhile, will get an accurate lock instantaneously indoors. Not that you need to get a lock indoors, but that you can. If I'm outside, it'll take me anywhere from 30s-2min to get a lock so that my navigation will start running. I really hope that a reliable fix comes out for this. What annoys me is that when I went to the vz store to check this phone out, the floor model got a good lock from inside the store within like 15 seconds. Maybe its just mine, but it seems that a lot of people are having this issue.
There are a lot of people reporting issues, i would like to see a poll to get a better % of people having issues, versus not.

Upvote 0
15 minutes seems excessive, even my shoddy Garmin takes only 5 minutes.

My HTC Incredible takes sub 1 minute generally, sometimes as fast as a few seconds.

My Fascinate sits somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.

Despite the locking time, however, both the Inc and Fasc, for me, have similar accuracy and usability.

I would not complain, though, if some sort of fix or something allowed it to lock as fast as my Inc.

Upvote 0
After using a few times: 1st took several minutes. Now takes only about 30 seconds. I tried the GPS command test hidden in the phone activities and even inside it found 9 satellites in under an minute and locked onto 6 in about 1min 15 seconds. In car with google nav, GPS test quickly found 12 and locked onto 9 in about 45 seconds. To me, this is top notch. No problems with GPS here at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones