1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gps ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by not2shabby, Feb 16, 2011.

1. not2shabby

not2shabby Newbie
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    lab tech
    Columbus, Oh
    I was wondering if the gps still works if you don't have a cell signal since it does use satellite signals? Do you still get a map or is that dependant on a phone signal too? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. bassett

bassett Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Provided you have "Use GPS Satellites" checked under Settings/Location and Security, you should get a GPS signal without a cell or data connection. The problem is that most mapping programs download maps on the fly as you move, so the data connection is needed to fully use the map app. This would not be a problem for apps that store the map data locally on your card (for example, Copilot Live and IGO).

not2shabby likes this.
  3. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    To use Google Navigation, you need a cell signal to get the maps, unless you precache the area you will be in while you are in a WiFi area. Or you can buy a navigation app that has its own maps stored onboard, then you can use the navigation without a data connection. I bought CoPilot Live USA just for this. The GPS will still get its signal from the satellites, and if I'm in an area with no cell coverage, I can still navigate around.

4. iron_city

iron_city Member
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    If you just want general map position and tracking (no nav functionality), then the MapDroyd app is free. You can donwload the free maps by state or country, and save them to the SD card.

I think MapQuest has a free map/nav app, but it might be only in beta right now.