1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Grabbing stills from video

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm sure it's possible. I just don't know how. I mean especially home movies.

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

All I do if I want to grab a still from a video that's playing, is just take and save screen-shot, that's it. I've often done it on phone and computer.

Steven58 and Rgarner like this.
  3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I won't start a new thread for this, as I have basically the same question as the OP.

But in my case they're videos, such as this one, on YouTube. I want to catch specific frame sequences, then turn them into animated GIFs. Is this doable?

#3 MoodyBlues, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Ideally you'd need a saved version of the video at the exact or greater resolution that you wish to convert it. Then you can select individual frames in a video editor like DaVinci or Premier. Save the images in sequence and then resample and reassemble them as gif's. Unfortunately in the process you'd be violating the Youtube TOS as well as copyright law.

MoodyBlues, olbriar and mikedt like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Of course that doesn't stop me sourcing and downloading videos for my lessons. :)

MoodyBlues likes this.
  6. lunatic59

Professor Mike says "watch this Youtube video, then don't ever speak English that way." ;)

MoodyBlues, olbriar and mikedt like this.
  7. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

I guess I thought that since YT allows me to download these videos, and credit would be given to the artist, I'd be okay. I'm known for being vocally and adamantly opposed to piracy, or anything resembling it, so I certainly don't want to do it.

8. lunatic59

I think you've been using Linux too long ... not everything follows the GNU GPL. You can't simply give credit and expect to be able to use copyrighted work for free. :eek: ;)

The truth is people do it every day and most of it flies under the radar ... like a guy in a jetpack.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  9. MoodyBlues

VIP Member

I see what you're saying, @lunatic59. Good points, too.

And I like how you slid Mr Jetpack Man into it! :D

lunatic59 likes this.