1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Grand Prime SM-G530M 4G Recovery...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Letteen, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Letteen

Letteen Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2015
    Hello, I have a Grand Prime SM-G530M 4G Version and its very VERY uncommon anywhere outside South America, and as there are few people that do those things in S.A. I cant find any Custom ROM, Recovery or any kind of support. So I decided to try to make one myself...

I always have problem with my device, USB not detecting, soft bricking, even hard bricking and all kind of stuff, I may resolve the problem in 1 hour or in 3 days, it depends. So I decided to make a backup, I can't, I need to get a custom recovery, I got the Philz Touch recovery, It does not seem to work as I can't install ZIPs.

I got the MTK Droid thing and I can't do it. The program detects the device, but its in the Yellow state, so I must click in ROOT (I am rooted) and when I do that, I give the permission in my device but when it finishes, the PC no longer detects my device and the program closes, if I try to connect the device again I can't, if I deactivate USB debug mode, the PC recognizes it but MTK Droid does not.

Thanks!a

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Letteen :).

So, you installed which Philz Touch recovery--was it one specifically built for your device? (I'm guessing not since you indicated at the start of your post that you can't find much for your device (and I see we don't have a specific forum for that device here at AF, either)).

You should know that it's very dangerous to use a custom recovery that is not specifically built for your device since it might try to do things to partitions that do not exactly equate to your device (i.e., that would be "bad" ;)).

I'm not too familiar with MTK / MediaTek devices, so I can't be of much help to you re. that.

I see that XDA has an area that might be helpful to you:

Cheers and best of luck!

Letteen likes this.
  3. Letteen

Letteen Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2015
    Thanks for replying, but the Philz Touch that I found was built for that device as far as I know, and I managed to install a ZIP in my device, I tried to install like 3 different ones and it seems that they are broken, anyways That MTK thing im talking about its a program called MTK DroidTools to make custom recoveries, backups, and all that kind of stuff. I wanted to know how should I make a custom recovery for my device and what would be the consequences of not doing it properly. I don't speak english properly as my native language is spanish, so excuse me.

Anyways, those forums are talking about the grand prime SM-G530H/F and I have the M version wich it seems that people does not use, it comes with 4G and NFC tho...

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Ah, no worries, @Letteen...I was just trying to be precise so as to not advise you in the wrong direction.

(your English is perfect, by the way! :))

I wasn't sure if those threads were relevant / applicable or not...so I had to leave that discrimination up to the expert (you :)).

Building a custom recovery (for any device) has a lot of layers to it. By that I mean that you've got to have the tools and infrastructure (knowledge, direction) in-place to help you. Even then, there are bound to be obstacles and knowledge gaps that you'll have to work through.

Here are two threads to get you started:

It's not a trivial task, I'm sure--but you'll learn a ton during the journey.

Cheers and best of luck!

Letteen likes this.
  5. Letteen

Letteen Lurker
    None

Nov 27, 2015
    scary alien likes this.