1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Grandfathering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Haxcid, May 29, 2011.

1. Haxcid

Haxcid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Spoke with VZW about the tier data and grandfathering.

All data plans are grandfathered. If you have unlimited data now, and you do not get a new phone and plan before it is implemented, you should still be grandfathered in.

I asked specifically if in 2 yrs my plan comes up again and I renew, will I keep the unlimited data even if no longer offered and his replay. Yes! the system does not look at plans of those who have them. He said that all it asks is IF there is a data plan, if you do not have a data plan and they put tier'd data in place then you are hosed forever. So if you have your plan now, 3 or 4G, you are good.

Advertisement

YankeeDudeL and stetsonaw like this.
  2. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 3, 2010
    Network Engineer
    Omaha
    w00t! Still glad i rushed out and got the Revo, lol!

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    There is apparently no difference (up to this point, anyway) in a contract between 3G and 4G unlimited. Both are the same price and same package description in the contract. VZW customer service and reps confirmed this. Will it matter? Who knows, except VZW finance.

VZW profile settings may list LTE, but the contracts do not. To this point in time, all apparently the same web package.

4. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    At my Western Washington VZW store, the sales rep said their intent was to get you on the tiered plan when your current phone needs replaced down the road. Example... I bought LG Revo Thursday, $29.99 4G unlimited plan, 2 year contract... When I come in next time, 1-2 years from now, get new phone=new contract, new data plan. I may have misunderstood, but that is the scenario I ran by them. We can thank the Iphone Crowd for this headache. As people jump ship from AT&T, VZW will tool it to make more money. I hope you are right Haxcid.

5. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Network Engineer
    IL
    Just confirmed with VZW corporate rep (business rep) and he stated there is a caveat...

You can still stay grandfathered in your unlimited data plan even after the changes take effect and upgrade IF...IF you purchase the phone outright.

If you renew your contract after the changes are put in place, then you're subject to the new tiered plans. Now, I know this can all change depending on what the higher ups decide, but that's what we're being told right now.

The store I went in today verified what he was saying, but they didn't know much about the tiered plans because they keep changing, so they've stopped asking. /sigh

If anyone hears anything different, let us know. :)

S

6. rtm0004

rtm0004 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    so it sounds like you can keep unlimited data as long as you don't sign a new contract and purchase phones at full price?

correct?

7. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    No one really know whats going to happen so what ever you hear does not matter. Verizon reps know nothing so we will just have to wait and see.

8. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    I was also told when I bought my Revo today that I would be grandfathered in on unlimited data and hotspot. We'll see...

9. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I vote this the most accurate post.

10. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    Concur with Rushmore, with VZW anything is possible. It depends on the stock price that week....