• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GrapheneOS on Pixel 2 in 2022 - Need help

FryTHF

Lurker
May 1, 2022
Hi there,

I recently bought a Google Pixel 2 to make it a simple and secured de-googled phone by installing GrapheneOS.

I'm totally new into the custom ROM installation, I just understand the goals and benefits but I never practised that before.
But after struggeling to prepare my phone as my computer for the installation, I tried to get more information and now I have a doubt : is it still possible to get GrapheneOS working properly on a Google Pixel 2 in 2022 ?
If yes, I as hoping for some help.

When I tried, I started to install the CalyxOS because it seemed more simple. Indeed the device-flasher shown me already some errors that I could resolve and start to understand what's wrong. It's like my computer doesn't recognize my phone even if I installed the USB driver.
After some researches I guessed that maybe I'm using a wrong cable (USB C A), not sure about it but it is a hint.

I decided to try installing GrapheneOS anyway with the web installer but yet, same thing. It doesn't see my device connected.

I'm a bit lost and hope that someone could explained me with as much as details as possible from the very start.

I thank you in advance for your attenton and your time, I really wish to get it working and step away from Google system.

Hi there,

I recently bought a Google Pixel 2 to make it a simple and secured de-googled phone by installing GrapheneOS.

I'm totally new into the custom ROM installation, I just understand the goals and benefits but I never practised that before.
But after struggeling to prepare my phone as my computer for the installation, I tried to get more information and now I have a doubt : is it still possible to get GrapheneOS working properly on a Google Pixel 2 in 2022 ?
If yes, I as hoping for some help.

When I tried, I started to install the CalyxOS because it seemed more simple. Indeed the device-flasher shown me already some errors that I could resolve and start to understand what's wrong. It's like my computer doesn't recognize my phone even if I installed the USB driver.
After some researches I guessed that maybe I'm using a wrong cable (USB C A), not sure about it but it is a hint.

I decided to try installing GrapheneOS anyway with the web installer but yet, same thing. It doesn't see my device connected.

I'm a bit lost and hope that someone could explained me with as much as details as possible from the very start.

I thank you in advance for your attenton and your time, I really wish to get it working and step away from Google system.
have you tried other cables yet? does your pc have a type c port? or type a?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
The Pixel 2 is no longer supported by Graphene OS.
https://grapheneos.org/faq#legacy-devices

The last release to support the Pixel 2 is 2020.10.23.04.

That probably explains why the web installer isn't able to find your device - it's not supported. If you want to install Graphene OS you'll need to do it manually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones