• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GrapheneOS vs LineageOS with filtering Proxy

Forgive me if I do something wrong, I'm new to this site.

I have a Pixel 3a Xl and I want to run ALL device traffic through a global proxy server to block ads/filter content. It is my understanding that in stock (Google) Android this is not possible without root because Google blocks installation of custom CA's in the system store. Is this correct?

So, question is: Is this possible in either Lineage or Graphene OS, and if so, which one is my better option? If possible, I would still like to use Play Store and some Google apps like Maps. I know it's possible to flash Gapps with LOS, but I'm uncertain if that's doable with Graphene. I've never used either of these other OS before, so any and all help/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

I've used Adguard for years on all of my non rooted devices...
Works great and highly recommend it.
https://adguard.com/en/blog/nightly-builds.html

This is being set up as a company/work device. What I need to use is a proprietary MDM/filtering system to filter/restrict all traffic to keep this limited to mainly work related usage. A very similar system is already in place for the all the company iOS devices (I hate Apple), but we need a solution for Android. So yes, while I'm sure Adguard is great, it doesn't fit the bill in this case, hence the need for global proxy configuration. Oh, and Google Enterprise won't work either. It's a confusing mess, I know.

Upvote 0
This is being set up as a company/work device. What I need to use is a proprietary MDM/filtering system to filter/restrict all traffic to keep this limited to mainly work related usage. A very similar system is already in place for the all the company iOS devices (I hate Apple), but we need a solution for Android. So yes, while I'm sure Adguard is great, it doesn't fit the bill in this case, hence the need for global proxy configuration. Oh, and Google Enterprise won't work either. It's a confusing mess, I know.

Presumably you've got a company iOS device management solution from Apple. I know Samsung offers enterprise device management solutions as well. https://insights.samsung.com/mobile-security/device-management/ This might be easier, than trying to hack together some DIY thing using custom ROMs.

Reactions: Dannydet and Davdi
Upvote 0
Forgive me if I do something wrong, I'm new to this site.

I have a Pixel 3a Xl and I want to run ALL device traffic through a global proxy server to block ads/filter content. It is my understanding that in stock (Google) Android this is not possible without root because Google blocks installation of custom CA's in the system store. Is this correct?

So, question is: Is this possible in either Lineage or Graphene OS, and if so, which one is my better option? If possible, I would still like to use Play Store and some Google apps like Maps. I know it's possible to flash Gapps with LOS, but I'm uncertain if that's doable with Graphene. I've never used either of these other OS before, so any and all help/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Short answer is no, if you want play store and maps, you can't use a Linux phone.

Upvote 0
Presumably you've got a company iOS device management solution from Apple. I know Samsung offers enterprise device management solutions as well. https://insights.samsung.com/mobile-security/device-management/ This might be easier, than trying to hack together some DIY thing using custom ROMs.
No, this is a small company third party service, in-house developed. The idea is to get something that will integrate with the back-end system already in place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones