1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Grayson Peddie from Orlando, FL (32825)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GraysonPeddie, Dec 31, 2009.

1. GraysonPeddie

GraysonPeddie Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Male
    None
    Tallahassee, FL 32304
    Hi. My name is Grayson Peddie, from Orlando, FL. I have a visual and hearing impairment, but I can see and hear just fine. :)

I am in for Associates in Arts and I'm planning to be a game developer.

Right now, the only device I have is my computer running an Android emulattor. I'm planning to get Google Nexus One when my contract with Sprint is out around November (can't wait).

What I currently have is Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard Edition running in my Samsung Ace (I hated the standard edition of Windows Mobile). The problem I have with Windows Mobile is that even though I exited from the camera view to the Today screen, I realized that it drains my battery so fast that when I were in vacation at Walt Disney World, I sometimes put myself at a loss of communication during the night (sometimes almost, but boy how many times did I have to restart my phone to get the accurate reading from a batttery meter. (I bought my phone around November of 2008.)

I have an Asterisk server at home for home-based PBX solution and I use freePBX as a frontend for GUI. Compared to 20 cents a minute that I am paying for Sprint (my data service costs $50 with $5 300 text messages), I have CallCentric, which I make and receive about 95% of the calls with (mostly my family members due to my hearing impairment and that I prefer texting/emailing/IM'ing to cab services and any kind of service that I need). I can go with prepaid from AT&T, but even if I rarely talk a lot using a cell phone (gee, it hurts and the sound quality sounded bad even with a good connection), my airtime will expire and the balance in a cell phone account could be left trapped during the times when I don't have airtime.

So, I'm hoping to get out of this 20-cent-per-minute phone service and hopefully purchase a data-only SIM card that can work with AT&T or T-Mobile. Besides, paying 2 cents a minute with CallCentric for outgoing and 1.5 cents a minute ingoing is great and can help me save a lot of money in a long run.

How do I like the Android emulator? It is great. It runs in Windows Vista x64 Ultimate but it's a little sluggish. Compared to Skyfire in Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard, I am able to zoom in as far as I want to. Skyfire? There's a preset zoom in but it's far as it can go and I had trouble reading text in such a small screen. I had trouble running Opera Mobile 10 in my WM 6.1 Standard phone: it gave me a small spinning circle and it disappears, never to start an application.

Oh boy-- I need to reset my phone back to the original factory as I am having some problems lately (the only ones I have installed are Skyfire and Radio365). The last time I restored my phone is when I had some trouble with Pocket Talk/Pocket Magnifier (it's supposed to help with making Windows Mobile accessible to me, but it had some performance problems so I quit using it). But back to Android, I ram Google Android 2.0.1 and it does have Accessibility and Text-to-Speech but it doesn't seem to be much use. I am a huge fan of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, as I am a customer of Sherweb that provides hosted Exchange accounts for home and business users to use (I'm a home user). Synchronizing with Exchange Server 2007 is great under Google Android. However, the Android emulator does not have calendering functionality built-in, but oh well...

As for development in mobile platform, I am a C# user with good knowledge of .net Framework 3.5. When it comes to GUI in Windows Mobile, the buttons and text boxes are in a level of Windows 2000 instead of Vista. Doing a P/Invoke to call out GDI/GDI+ (Graphical Device Interface) functions is a pain as only a subset of .net Compact Framework is used. :(

If I were to leverage my knowledge of C# with Java, it will take me some time to get familiar with Eclipse, as I am so familiar with Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 (even 2002/2003/2005).

Anyway, I am glad to be here in the forum, but I'll probably not be in here that much since I don't have an Android device, but oh well.

Advertisement

2. TheNorthernForest

TheNorthernForest Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Student
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I go to Florida every year for Nationals! That place is so beautiful, man.

Welcome to AF :D

3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

4. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Student
    London
    Welcome to AF! :D

5. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Campus Safety Officer
    Earlville, NY
    Welcome to Android Forums!! :)

6. GraysonPeddie

GraysonPeddie Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Male
    None
    Tallahassee, FL 32304
    Thank you guys for all your kind welcomes and greetings!

I saw some of the videos; one of my favorites is turn-by-turn directions while in a car, but because I like to ride a bike, I don't think I could fit a car mount in a bike for Google Nexus One. A bike mount for Google Nexus One would be cool, though.