• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grayson Peddie from Orlando, FL (32825)

Hi. My name is Grayson Peddie, from Orlando, FL. I have a visual and hearing impairment, but I can see and hear just fine. :)

I am in for Associates in Arts and I'm planning to be a game developer.

Right now, the only device I have is my computer running an Android emulattor. I'm planning to get Google Nexus One when my contract with Sprint is out around November (can't wait).

What I currently have is Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard Edition running in my Samsung Ace (I hated the standard edition of Windows Mobile). The problem I have with Windows Mobile is that even though I exited from the camera view to the Today screen, I realized that it drains my battery so fast that when I were in vacation at Walt Disney World, I sometimes put myself at a loss of communication during the night (sometimes almost, but boy how many times did I have to restart my phone to get the accurate reading from a batttery meter. (I bought my phone around November of 2008.)

I have an Asterisk server at home for home-based PBX solution and I use freePBX as a frontend for GUI. Compared to 20 cents a minute that I am paying for Sprint (my data service costs $50 with $5 300 text messages), I have CallCentric, which I make and receive about 95% of the calls with (mostly my family members due to my hearing impairment and that I prefer texting/emailing/IM'ing to cab services and any kind of service that I need). I can go with prepaid from AT&T, but even if I rarely talk a lot using a cell phone (gee, it hurts and the sound quality sounded bad even with a good connection), my airtime will expire and the balance in a cell phone account could be left trapped during the times when I don't have airtime.

So, I'm hoping to get out of this 20-cent-per-minute phone service and hopefully purchase a data-only SIM card that can work with AT&T or T-Mobile. Besides, paying 2 cents a minute with CallCentric for outgoing and 1.5 cents a minute ingoing is great and can help me save a lot of money in a long run.

How do I like the Android emulator? It is great. It runs in Windows Vista x64 Ultimate but it's a little sluggish. Compared to Skyfire in Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard, I am able to zoom in as far as I want to. Skyfire? There's a preset zoom in but it's far as it can go and I had trouble reading text in such a small screen. I had trouble running Opera Mobile 10 in my WM 6.1 Standard phone: it gave me a small spinning circle and it disappears, never to start an application.

Oh boy-- I need to reset my phone back to the original factory as I am having some problems lately (the only ones I have installed are Skyfire and Radio365). The last time I restored my phone is when I had some trouble with Pocket Talk/Pocket Magnifier (it's supposed to help with making Windows Mobile accessible to me, but it had some performance problems so I quit using it). But back to Android, I ram Google Android 2.0.1 and it does have Accessibility and Text-to-Speech but it doesn't seem to be much use. I am a huge fan of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, as I am a customer of Sherweb that provides hosted Exchange accounts for home and business users to use (I'm a home user). Synchronizing with Exchange Server 2007 is great under Google Android. However, the Android emulator does not have calendering functionality built-in, but oh well...

As for development in mobile platform, I am a C# user with good knowledge of .net Framework 3.5. When it comes to GUI in Windows Mobile, the buttons and text boxes are in a level of Windows 2000 instead of Vista. Doing a P/Invoke to call out GDI/GDI+ (Graphical Device Interface) functions is a pain as only a subset of .net Compact Framework is used. :(

If I were to leverage my knowledge of C# with Java, it will take me some time to get familiar with Eclipse, as I am so familiar with Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 (even 2002/2003/2005).

Anyway, I am glad to be here in the forum, but I'll probably not be in here that much since I don't have an Android device, but oh well.

Hi. My name is Grayson Peddie, from Orlando, FL. I have a visual and hearing impairment, but I can see and hear just fine. :)

I am in for Associates in Arts and I'm planning to be a game developer.

Right now, the only device I have is my computer running an Android emulattor. I'm planning to get Google Nexus One when my contract with Sprint is out around November (can't wait).

What I currently have is Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard Edition running in my Samsung Ace (I hated the standard edition of Windows Mobile). The problem I have with Windows Mobile is that even though I exited from the camera view to the Today screen, I realized that it drains my battery so fast that when I were in vacation at Walt Disney World, I sometimes put myself at a loss of communication during the night (sometimes almost, but boy how many times did I have to restart my phone to get the accurate reading from a batttery meter. (I bought my phone around November of 2008.)

I have an Asterisk server at home for home-based PBX solution and I use freePBX as a frontend for GUI. Compared to 20 cents a minute that I am paying for Sprint (my data service costs $50 with $5 300 text messages), I have CallCentric, which I make and receive about 95% of the calls with (mostly my family members due to my hearing impairment and that I prefer texting/emailing/IM'ing to cab services and any kind of service that I need). I can go with prepaid from AT&T, but even if I rarely talk a lot using a cell phone (gee, it hurts and the sound quality sounded bad even with a good connection), my airtime will expire and the balance in a cell phone account could be left trapped during the times when I don't have airtime.

So, I'm hoping to get out of this 20-cent-per-minute phone service and hopefully purchase a data-only SIM card that can work with AT&T or T-Mobile. Besides, paying 2 cents a minute with CallCentric for outgoing and 1.5 cents a minute ingoing is great and can help me save a lot of money in a long run.

How do I like the Android emulator? It is great. It runs in Windows Vista x64 Ultimate but it's a little sluggish. Compared to Skyfire in Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard, I am able to zoom in as far as I want to. Skyfire? There's a preset zoom in but it's far as it can go and I had trouble reading text in such a small screen. I had trouble running Opera Mobile 10 in my WM 6.1 Standard phone: it gave me a small spinning circle and it disappears, never to start an application.

Oh boy-- I need to reset my phone back to the original factory as I am having some problems lately (the only ones I have installed are Skyfire and Radio365). The last time I restored my phone is when I had some trouble with Pocket Talk/Pocket Magnifier (it's supposed to help with making Windows Mobile accessible to me, but it had some performance problems so I quit using it). But back to Android, I ram Google Android 2.0.1 and it does have Accessibility and Text-to-Speech but it doesn't seem to be much use. I am a huge fan of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, as I am a customer of Sherweb that provides hosted Exchange accounts for home and business users to use (I'm a home user). Synchronizing with Exchange Server 2007 is great under Google Android. However, the Android emulator does not have calendering functionality built-in, but oh well...

As for development in mobile platform, I am a C# user with good knowledge of .net Framework 3.5. When it comes to GUI in Windows Mobile, the buttons and text boxes are in a level of Windows 2000 instead of Vista. Doing a P/Invoke to call out GDI/GDI+ (Graphical Device Interface) functions is a pain as only a subset of .net Compact Framework is used. :(

If I were to leverage my knowledge of C# with Java, it will take me some time to get familiar with Eclipse, as I am so familiar with Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 (even 2002/2003/2005).

Anyway, I am glad to be here in the forum, but I'll probably not be in here that much since I don't have an Android device, but oh well.

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones