• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great Home Replacement

brettlewis

Android Expert
Nov 3, 2009
Arizona
Its called home++, and although there is already a post about this i though it should also go in the droid forum.

here is the link to it
Introducing Home++ (Home++ by Intuitit)

it gives you options such as:
You choose how many screens
"power strip" kind of like the iphone dock with common links in it
Option to hide the notifications bar

I personally like this more then any of the other home replacements because it is the fastest, cleanest, most appealing one out there.
Check it out and comment back.

It's funny how different people's experience with the home apps are. I tried GDE and it was laggy to the point of being unusable. I also didn't like how much space the bar at the bottom took for how little you got out of it.

Home++ is my current default home app. It's running far smoother than the default app on my phone, the looping workspace is nice (find some seamless wallpapers or it'll look weird on screen 4!), and I like how minimal everything can look while still having quick access to a good number of quick launch icons. Hasn't crashed for me yet (who knows if I'm the anomaly...)

More dev support for animated widgets would kick so much ass. I found the dev page and donated for this one because I think it has so much potential.

Upvote 0
It's funny how different people's experience with the home apps are. I tried GDE and it was laggy to the point of being unusable. I also didn't like how much space the bar at the bottom took for how little you got out of it.

Home++ is my current default home app. It's running far smoother than the default app on my phone, the looping workspace is nice (find some seamless wallpapers or it'll look weird on screen 4!), and I like how minimal everything can look while still having quick access to a good number of quick launch icons. Hasn't crashed for me yet (who knows if I'm the anomaly...)

More dev support for animated widgets would kick so much ass. I found the dev page and donated for this one because I think it has so much potential.

agreed. i liked GDE at first, but it was way too unstable (and thus unusable!)
home++ has been the most stable and enjoyable home alternative

with the latest updates, you can choose how many screens you want (3 to 7), you can choose not to loop your wallpaper (so no need to find a seamless looping one) and you have more choice over what goes into the quick launch dock. definitely loving this one.

Upvote 0
i may have to try home ++ now, i have used gde also and like above, mine is very sluggish and force closes alot. i didnt go to home ++ before cause i liked the 7 screens gde gave me, but now i see home++ allows 7 so i might have to give it a try
only ? i have is how smooth does home++ run with widgets? i love widgets and have to have them or its not worth it. anyone have a smooth run with widgets on there screens?

Upvote 0
home++ just got updated and man, I had to donate to the developer again. The developer is doing some good work on it. Stable, never had a problem. When it wants to FC, I just say "wait" and it resolves itself. I never actually FC it. Works every time. No lag, just a great FREE app. Now, if someone can just improve the Facebook Widget, I'd be set!

Edit: The new release does have a FC issue during orientation switching of the home screen. The developer has been notified.

Upvote 0
For those of you with lag or battery issues, I read another post on the boards that fixed these issues for me.

Basically you are running 2 homes at the same time. For example you have 2 facebook widgets running one on the original and one on home++. Go to the original stock home screen and remove all the widgets ( I removed all the shortcuts too). Set home++ as your default, I did a reset for the heck of it too. I have had no issues with battery life or lag since.

Upvote 0
For those of you with lag or battery issues, I read another post on the boards that fixed these issues for me.

Basically you are running 2 homes at the same time. For example you have 2 facebook widgets running one on the original and one on home++. Go to the original stock home screen and remove all the widgets ( I removed all the shortcuts too). Set home++ as your default, I did a reset for the heck of it too. I have had no issues with battery life or lag since.

That makes perfect sense - and horribly annoying at the same time. If I decide I do not like home++ then I'm going to have to redo all of my screens again. Grrrr. Thanks for the heads up

Upvote 0
I'm a huge fan of Home++ and love the updates that the developer has been putting out. I'm really happy to see that the most recent update adds the Contacts button to the bottom - one more icon/shortcut I can clear off of my homescreen.

I did run into my first issue today though. The most recent release (0.8.0.6) breaks the Beautiful Widgets as well as the Pure Calendar and Pure Grid widgets.

I modified my agenda and noticed that the Pure Calendar wasn't updating. Removed the widget and re-added and the widget only says "Loading data..."

Tried another widget and it works fine. Switched to the default home app and the Pure Widget and Beautiful Widgets started working again. Submitted a bug report and hopefully we'll see those start working again.

Upvote 0
That makes perfect sense - and horribly annoying at the same time. If I decide I do not like home++ then I'm going to have to redo all of my screens again. Grrrr. Thanks for the heads up

Yep it kinda stinks, but I found it better than a laggy phone. Plus I have no desire to go back to the original home screen. It reminds me of when I used to switch themes on my BB and tthen spent the next 15 minutes rehiding icons and organizing folders. I often laugh at myself when I start saying why can't the phone do this or that. I have to remind myself that its still a phone, and in my opinion the best one out there.

Upvote 0
I think I'm not putting anything else on my phone until after the phone update comes out. It's supposed to be this Friday. I want to make sure that nothing I have interferes with it, or worse that I go to the trouble to get everything set up the way that I like only to have it disabled by the new update.

Upvote 0

OH SNAP! It makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones