• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great phone but...

I just got my Desire last week, upgrade on Vodafone from a Samsung Omnia, and this one is by far THE best one ever.
PRO:
-with 1Ghz cpu it runs like the wind
-apps:lots of them and till now haven't had any problem with any game or app, one of my favorites is AndFTP...use it to conect to my computer via wifi to get all that i need
-GPS: i can't belive how fast it conects it self to satelites, i haven't tested it on a cloudy day, cause it been all sunshine these days. the time it took to conect was les then 10 sec out side, and less then 30sec-1 min indoor near a window. with my previous phones N95-8G and Omnia, if it was sunny...2-3 min, cloudy-more the 5min...sometimes 10min, and indoor by the window...never...got sick of waiting more than 10-15 min.
-display...it's big enough
-network conection....never fails...full signal anyware, unlike my wifes sam jet on "3" network witch kind of suck, outside signal quite good, but indoors....is more or leass with no signal
-came preinstalled with a sandisk 4g microsd card
-very thin-for what it has inside

Don't care:
-many complain about the camera, as i don't use that much at any phone i don't care about it, i've only took a couple of pictures and they are quite good.

Cons:
-can't install apps on sdcard (why is that???is that how all andoird OS are? do i have to root it, and if so is it possible to root the desire?)
-low memory on the phone to install apps and games...it practicly asks for rooting
-wheres all the memory???...on gsmarena and other sites...at the desires specs the Internal memory si 576 MB RAM; 512 MB ROM, and i use smart monitor lite and at system my it says my memory is 398.34, and at storage (/systems+/cache+/data adds to 250+40+147=437)...
-can't properly close and app
-no DIVX...come one...why???

Don't know yet
-battery...because it is new...and all i do is keep my hands on it playing and stuf...i charge it every night...buy playing for about 3-4 hours continuous i eat up about 35-40% of the batterys power, my omnia was the same when i first got it, but before i got the desire, the battery lasted for about 5-6 days in stand-by and talking a minimum of 1.5-2 hours a day...and no gaming

Questions:
-why can't apps be installed on the sd?
-what is the point of putin a big sdcard and small memory on the phone with all these great apps, if you can just install 10-20 aps/games?
-i'm realy new to android....so...what is rooting?

here is your DivX (thanx to xda devs forum):
WORKING Divx on Desire - xda-developers

you can install apps on your SD card but not yet as we need root to be able to install aps2sd application which allows to install apps to SD card.
rooting is similar to jailbreaking of iphone which helps to access superuser, or install custom ROM or access various system capabilities which are locked from users.
and we actually have about 120MB of free space for installing apps on our beloved Desires as most of the 512MB is taken by the Android OS 2.1 and HTC sense UI.
we can't install apps on sd cards due to (don't remember who asked HTC support in this forum) something about FAT32 system but not sure, you'll have to find out yourself :)

Reactions: xlucian
Upvote 0
Cons:
-can't install apps on sdcard (why is that???is that how all andoird OS are? do i have to root it, and if so is it possible to root the desire?)

- Different reasons, mostly concerns about changing SD card I believe, but they should just make a backup/transfer option.

Also, Yes, Yes, Not yet.

-can't properly close and app

There are app killers that can perform this, although by far most apps - not counting stuff such as message services - are not run actively but rather in a frozen state.

-no DIVX...come one...why???

They are supposedly working on an update for this, worst part is that there are no decent apps that can do this on market.

Don't know yet
-battery...because it is new...and all i do is keep my hands on it playing and stuf...i charge it every night...buy playing for about 3-4 hours continuous i eat up about 35-40% of the batterys power, my omnia was the same when i first got it, but before i got the desire, the battery lasted for about 5-6 days in stand-by and talking a minimum of 1.5-2 hours a day...and no gaming

The battery is pretty short-lived, to increase stand-by power, set stuff such as friend stream, news, weather apps to wither manual or less frequent updates.

-i'm realy new to android....so...what is rooting?

Rooting means getting a greater amount of access to core OS functions, allowing you to do stuff such as installing custom ROMS, installing to SD cards(requires custom roms), overclocking and replacing core functions such as Androids own task manager.

However, this is not entirely without danger, and many cell phone companies consider it a breach of warranty conditions.

Reactions: xlucian
Upvote 0
I agree with the camera, its pretty good if you ask me.
for me it's actually very good. if you play with settings (especially: contrast, brightness, saturation) you can get really good pics (well, far far better than my samsung galaxy :) )
btw i was looking at files with ASTRO and found camera folder and some document which i opened as a text document and it says Samsung and some numbers with 5M :) hehe so i assume they put samsung camera :)
however, i just wonder how the quality will improve with new firmware if it will improve :)

Upvote 0
for me it's actually very good. if you play with settings (especially: contrast, brightness, saturation) you can get really good pics (well, far far better than my samsung galaxy :) )
btw i was looking at files with ASTRO and found camera folder and some document which i opened as a text document and it says Samsung and some numbers with 5M :) hehe so i assume they put samsung camera :)
however, i just wonder how the quality will improve with new firmware if it will improve :)

same here with the camera.
i found the follder and opened the file inside and it said Samsung s5k3e2fx 5M,
also found another folder "msm_camera_s5k3e2fx" that has inside a "driver", "power" and "subsystems" folder.
did some diging around and found this:

Resolution > 5M Pixel > S5K3E2F

general description
The S5K3E2FX is a highly integrated QSXGA camera chip which includes CMOS image sensor (CIS) and CCP2-compliant image data interface. It is fabricated by SAMSUNG CMOS image sensor process developed for imaging application to realize high-efficiency and low-power photo sensor. The sensor consists of 2608 x 1960 effective pixels which meet with 1/3.2 inch optical format. The CIS has on-chip 10-bit/12-bit(12-bit is for test) ADC arrays to digitize the pixel output and also on-chip Correlated Double Sampling (CDS) to reduce Fixed Pattern Noise (FPN) drastically. The image data interface performs data formatting, image compression, Image scaling and serial transmission using Sub-LVDS. The host controller is able to access and control this device via CCI bus. The S5K3E2FX is suitable for low power camera module with 2.5V/1.8V power supply.

features
SMIA 1.0 compliant (profile 2)
Optical size: 1/3.2 inch
Pixel size: 1.75 um
Effective resolution: 2608 (H) x 1960 (V), QSXGA
Line progressive read out
Vertical and horizontal flip mode
Continuous frame capture mode
Sub-sampled readout
Output format: RAW 10-Bit and 8-Bit mode using DPCM/PCM compression
RAW 10/12-bit (10-bit is default, 12-bit is for test) parallel, CCP2 and CSI-2
Max. frame rate: 15fps (RAW8 at CCP2, RAW10 at CSI-2)
Digital gain control (X1~X8, 1/256 step)
Color space conversion
Color /lens shading correction
Image scaling down (to the arbitrary size that is greater than or equal to 256x192)
Built-in test pattern generation
Standby mode for power saving
CCI(I2C-compatible) bus control interface
Operating temperature: -30

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones