1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Great phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dontpanicbobby, Feb 20, 2020.

1. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Anyone still using one?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. olbriar

olbriar  

No Sir. I will readily agree that it was a great phone. I moved from the M8 to a S8+ and my wife used the M8 for another year or more before it finally gave it up. She had a desire to upgrade long before there was a reason. I'm sure a factory reset would have cured the problems she was experiencing but she wanted a new phone.

3. Steven58

I had the htc incredible and that was the last htc for me. Don't get me wrong ... I liked htc.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I have a Pixel 2, which hardware-wise is an HTC.

I'd have liked to stay with HTC, but by the time I was replacing my M7 they'd decided to only offer what were then still called "phablets" (i.e. phones that were all 7.5cm wide or larger), and as I have no interest in a phone that size we parted company. I just checked their UK website and all of their phones are now listed as "not available in the UK", which begs the question "why bother listing them on the UK website then?".

My M7 still works though. One evening when I've nothing to do I plan to install a completely Google-free ROM on it, just to test my theory that I don't actually need any of Google's services.

5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member Thread Starter

That would be interesting @Hadron.
    Personally as a User I don't think it will work.

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Sooner or later I'll find the time.

Personally I think I could do it. I use Google for calendar sync, but there are other providers. I sometimes use Google Maps, but I have other apps that substitute for that just fine (in fact I probably use Google less than Open Streetmap-based apps). And those are the two Google services I use most, and I reckon I can dispense with both (the calendar sync will be the harder, but there are other CalDav servers out there and I don't actually share calendars with people). I can't think of any other Google service I can't do without: F-Droid and APKMirror cover app requirements, I don't use Assistant, don't get media from Google, don't need Photos, and anyway most Google services can be accessed with a browser if you really need them. So my guess is that I could walk away from Google completely if I wanted, and a phone with no Google certainly seems doable to me.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews