• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Green Power, Astrid and Producteev syncing together in harmony

Displacedmic

Mar 26, 2011
Happy New Year everyone!

I am a long-time user of Astrid lists in conjunction with my Producteev tasks.

I love it! I can email myself tasks, sync w/ my google and local calendars, assign tasks, change dates on the fly and all and all try to accomplish the unbelievable task of keeping my ADD brain on task. This has been far and away the best use of my (first) smartphone - the Evo 4G.

However recently i also discovered the Green Power app which has got to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Example - i didn't charge my phone yesterday and this morning i woke up with 52% battery. Stock battery 1+ years old. Anyone who owns an Evo knows how amazing that is.

Basically the app simply turns off your radios and turns them on periodically to sync all your accounts.

As it turns out, that works great. I set the app once and haven't thought about it since. Ironically this has lead to some battery management issues as it has permitted me to become less obsessive about plugging my phone in everywhere i go (home, car, desk etc).

Anyway my issue is that Astrid sync's with producteev at specific time intervals. the lowest (besides manually telling it to sync of course) is 15 minutes. If this sync happens to fall during a time when Green Power has all the radios off, the sync fails. My other accounts are all account syncs so they just go when the radios are back on - but not Astrid.

Is there a work around? This isn't a huge deal as Green Power will turn itself off when the phone is plugged in, but surprisingly i have been unlucky in that my phone has gone all day without falling on during one of Astrid's sync attempts so I can go all day w/out syncing my to-do lists.

Again, not really a huge issue and certainly not worth turning off Green Power but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Actually, the trick is timing. You can set Green Power to sync every 15min, then in the settings of the app, you can set how long it waits to turn data off again, basically you can alter the size of the "window time" where the data can connect. Set that to around 3min, then go immediately to Astrid and run sync.

What will happen in this situation is that the Astrid sync and the Green Power "open window" will occur at roughly the same time as each other. The Window adjustment is to allow for the sync time of Astrid, which roughly would take 3min. Green Power will close the internet connection at roughly the same time as Astrid will finish syncing.

I can attest this will work, because, its how I set mine up to sync with Green Power running. LOL.

Reactions: Displacedmic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones