1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Greenify seems to not work properly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chanchan05, Jun 28, 2016.

1. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    So I got greenify because people say it works great. My battery issue has more to do with large drain when internet it on (4G/WiFi). I think it's network related, since when I am not connected I only have around 0.6%/hr battery drain, jumping to 3% per hour on WiFi and 5% per hour on 4G. Since I can't use GreenPower anymore thanks to Google removing app control over the data toggling, I'm on the search for a non task killer battery saver. Greenify was highly recommended so sure, try it. The problem stems from its not hibernating Facebook and a few others properly. From what I understand, once I hibernate Facebook, it shouldn't be running until I call it up. But every time I click on hibernate, it's force closing Facebook, making me think its not working as intended. Never mind the auto-hibernate does not work with a secure lockscreen bit. Anybody else having an issue?

Advertisement

2. MeatLoafT

MeatLoafT Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2013
    Male
    Indiana
    I cut my battery consumption in half by disabling Facebook and just using the mobile site. Eventually I found Swipe (I bought pro after testing the free.) It's mostly just a wrapper for the mobile site, but it's pretty decent, messages are built in and more features supposed to be coming. It will hibernate with Greenify. Probably not the answer you were looking for but I have a couple apps that won't stay dead as well. Overall I'm impressed with Greenify though.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Swipe is just a mobile site wrapper as far as I can see. Issues with not using the actual Facebook app and Messenger includes the quality of pictures sent and uploaded. Plus regarding apps that I use the Facebook login are more difficult because I use 2 step verification using Facebook. Without the app it becomes hassle.

Overall not very impressed with Greenify.

4. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    I don't use Facebook so I can't speak to your experience. However, personally I find the aggressive doze feature in greenify absolutely worth it. During daytime use, it is very difficult to compare battery efficiency from day to day due to normal usage variations, however overnight, greenify makes a more than a reasonable difference. With Wi-Fi Bluetooth and Location on overnight, the phone on greenify drops from 100% to around 93 – 94%. Without greenify, the drop is closer to 88 %. With Wi-Fi Bluetooth and location off and greenify on the phone drops from 100% to 97% overnight. The expanded doze notification clearly shows the phone going into doze mode for greater periods under greenify.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Aggressive Doze is the only reason why I'm not yet uninstalling the thing. But the hybernating apps part I don't care much for since it's not working properly. I'll probably just see if restricting background data for several apps work fine. It's the data that's killing me anyway. I get around 0.6%/hr standby battery drain with WiFi and mobile data off, but jumps to 3.5% (WiFi) or 5% (with 4G).

6. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Makes sense.

7. chibae

chibae Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Granted, I'm the new kid on the block here , I don't use greenify. Yet with bluetooth and location off and wifi on, I still only drop from 100% to 98%-97% overnight. I use FB and messenger apps. Only real change I did was to stop Play Store in it's tracks. No auto updates and no background data. Also no AOD. At night I just silence the phone and put it in do not disturb.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    That's overnight. It means doze kicked in. Doze won't normally kick in during the day to create that kind of battery savings.

9. chibae

chibae Member

Jun 10, 2016
    [/QUOTE]
    use Facebook so I can't speak to your experience. However, personally I find the aggressive doze feature in greenify absolutely worth it. During daytime use, it is very difficult to compare battery efficiency from day to day due to normal usage variations, however overnight, greenify makes a more than a reasonable difference. With Wi-Fi Bluetooth and Location on overnight, the phone on greenify drops from 100% to around 93 – 94%. Without greenify, the drop is closer to 88 %. With Wi-Fi Bluetooth and location off and greenify on the phone drops from 100% to 97% overnight. The expanded doze notification clearly shows the phone going into doze mode for greater periods under greenify.[/QUOTE]
    I was referring to Snakeyeskm post where he refers to overnight differences. "however overnight, greenify makes a more than a reasonable difference. With Wi-Fi Bluetooth and Location on overnight, the phone on greenify drops from 100% to around 93 – 94%. Without greenify, the drop is closer to 88 %. With Wi-Fi Bluetooth and location off and greenify on the phone drops from 100% to 97% overnight."

10. gypsy82401

gypsy82401 Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2016
    Male
    Hi
    I been using the free version of Greenefy. Over night with my WIFI, Bluetooth, Location Off my battery drops by around 2%.
    Perhaps under Advanced WIFI setting your 'Scanning Always Available' is 'On'

11. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Good for you. I was not attempting to highlight how great my phone is overnight. (In fact I believe my snapdragon is clearly less efficient than the CPU in European versions). Everyone has different apps and sync schedules on their phone that would affect the phones battery performance even on standby. The point I was making, was that on my phone there is a noticeable difference in battery usage with and without greenify. The expanded doze notifications clearly indicate the differences between the usage of that app. That's precisely the point underlined by chanchan05 in his response to my post.

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    That's not really the point of the thread. The point is that the hibernate does not work on the apps I want it to work on. Greenify is supposed to stop apps from working in the background. However, some apps like Facebook, 9GAG, etc aren't stopped and restart immediately after the attempt to make them hibernate, rendering the main feature of the app useless.

And no, my Edge does not have advanced settings in WiFi.

[​IMG]

Besides. I want the wifi to be scanning anyway. I lose connection when moving between buildings at work, and this allows my phone to immediately pick up the signal on the other building immediately.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.