1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Greetings from the Stix

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kaslkaos, Jul 15, 2011.

1. kaslkaos

kaslkaos Newbie
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi, I bought an Archos 70 Tablet to replace a perfectly wonderful but ancient and obsolete PalmPilot500 (goes WAY back). I'm pretty thrilled with my new toy but I am having trouble finding apps that work offline for some pretty simple tasks. I live out in the country, and wifi is a rare treat unless I hang out at the local library (I'm not interested in buying a router for home).
    I tried searching terms such as "offline apps" (way too general), and "offline address book" (I'm really hunting for that one), etc.
    So if anyone can point me in the right the direction, or better yet, be specific, I would be eternally gratefully.
    Here's the apps I already have that work just great offline:
    Nethack (favourite game)
    Aldiko (ereader, one of the reasons I bought the tablet-no offline dictionary though) (and more, but those two I use the most)
    Livelist (checklist app, perfect for packing for a camping trip)
    Things I'm still hunting for:
    Address/Phone book (um, I actually don't own a cell phone, so I need this stuff while travelling-"Contacts" won't save.)
    I have something called "Offline Calendar" which works as stated, but it could be better.
    And whatever else I haven't imagined yet.
    That said, I love this 'do everything' device but would love to add to it.
    Thanks.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums!

I am a bit confused. If you have contacts and calendar sync'ed to your gmail account, the information should still be there on the tablet when offline. It just won't get updated until you re-establish a data connection.

ARCHOS 70 - Android Forums

3. kaslkaos

kaslkaos Newbie
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Since I only have occasional access to wifi, I haven't synced anything to my google account, and probably don't want to either. I use google for online things, email and whatnot, and if I'm online, I figure it's just as easy to go into gmail to compose. The sorts of addresses and phone numbers I want handy while travelling are not on google and I don't want to put them there.
    Of course a work-around could be to put all that info into a text file, and leave it at that. But in general, I'm looking for handy or fun apps that work offline once the initial download is complete.