• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gremlins taking screen captures

bruce73

Android Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I've just discovered in my Dropbox's Camera Uploads folder a half dozen screen captures of my home screen that I didn't take, at least not knowingly. They're sitting in my DCIM folder and I have no idea how they got there. This started a couple of weeks ago apparently (about the time I upgraded to ICS).

Any ideas what software or setting is causing this? I know how to manually take a screenshot, but those end up in the Pictures/screenshots folder. Plus there's also the click of the camera when taken. Not so with the others. Very strange.

Edit: OK, I think I figured out out. When I use the button on top to turn the screen off, a finger must be hitting the volume down button on the side (isn't this new with ICS?). I don't always hear the click. And it appears the copies of the shot go in both folder locations.

Never mind. ;-)

I've just discovered in my Dropbox's Camera Uploads folder a half dozen screen captures of my home screen that I didn't take, at least not knowingly. They're sitting in my DCIM folder and I have no idea how they got there. This started a couple of weeks ago apparently (about the time I upgraded to ICS).

Any ideas what software or setting is causing this? I know how to manually take a screenshot, but those end up in the Pictures/screenshots folder. Plus there's also the click of the camera when taken. Not so with the others. Very strange.

Edit: OK, I think I figured out out. When I use the button on top to turn the screen off, a finger must be hitting the volume down button on the side (isn't this new with ICS?). I don't always hear the click. And it appears the copies of the shot go in both folder locations.

Never mind. ;-)

You can also push power and tap the home key...voila! Screenshot...

Reactions: bruce73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones