1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Groove IP

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Jack9, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Jack9

Jack9 Lurker
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    I was a Groove IP user and missed the deadline to port my number from/to wherever it needed to go (which was confusing), which apparently was a Ring To number, and they aren't accepting new signups. Ring To has a forum, but it says my account is inactive, and there doesn't seem to be a way to even create a new forum account anymore (crappy).

What choices do I have?

https://community.ring.to/thread/2162
    BTW, this says :
    I am a GrooVe IP user, how does this affect me?
    GrooVe IP has been sending out instructions on their plans to migrate from RingTo over to the new and improved GrooVe IP application. If you have not ported a number to RingTo, you must either continue your service with GrooVe IP's new platform or terminate your account. You must migrate by March 31st.

"migrate from RingTo "
    "ported a number to RingTo"

Huh?

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    There are a number of good, free VOIP apps for Android, take a look at 'Google Hangouts' as it's probably on your phone already (although you might need to also install the Hangouts Dialer app). I have a friend who loves 'Viber'. The 'Signal Private Messenger' app is an Open Source project that allows you to do both encrypted texting and phone calls between other other Signal users (and of course un-encrypted, regular texting and phone calls with anyone).

electricpete likes this.
  3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I've used Google hangouts for outgoing calls. As far as I know it can't be used for incoming calls unless the caller is also using hangouts.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Just did a couple of tests, both people using their landline phones, to re-confirm and incoming callers do not need to also be using Hangouts.
    If your Hangouts app isn't allowing other non-Hangout callers, check your 'Hangouts Dialer' app. For whatever reason Google opted to skip the menu button and you need to go to the hamburger menu in the upper left, and select 'Settings' to get to the different options. And to make things more confusing, there are more settings tied to your Google Voice account. Go to https://voice.google.com/ and click on the gear icon in the upper right and select 'Settings' for a different set of options.

electricpete likes this.
  5. Jack9

Jack9 Lurker
    None

Feb 9, 2012
    Since Hangouts is tied to your Google account, will it show your full name when calling someone? Good thing about Groove IP is I don't think it did. Also nice was you could pick your own phone number from a list of several.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    If you're calling someone's landline you will probably be showing up in their Caller ID as your Google Voice number, if you're calling someone's cellphone than if they have your Google Voice number in their Contacts under your name then it should show up as your name, otherwise it'll be your Google Voice number. Or you could transfer your main number over:
    https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124