• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Group messages not working

CrvyloOo

Aug 14, 2012
So my group messages has never really worked correctly, but now it's simply not working at all. I have group messaging checked on in the "MMS" settings of the messaging app's settings. Instead of getting the text sent from the group members in the actual single group text "contact" in the list of messages threads, they are sent individually, in separate threads by each person who sent them. It almost seems like it's either ignoring that group texts is turned on, or turning itself off. This is extremely annoying as I can't see all the messages in a single thread like I should. I have the actual group text thread on my list of threads in messages, but seemingly the only thing it's good for at this point is sending my group texts so others can see it correctly. The worse part is that when I tried switching to a different messaging app, it didn't help at all. I tried switching over to google hangouts, but that didn't allow me to send or receive group texts whatsoever, instead having them be infinitely "sending" and failing to send! So far the only thing I have tried is doing a cache wipe, but it didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this issue?

Did you ever get this resolved?

Among my family we have 1 Motorola RAZR, 2 Samsung Galaxy S4s, and 1 Samsung Galaxy S5. A couple of us are using Go SMS Pro, a couple using Handcent. We're all on Verizon. We all have this same issue.

I've seen several posts complaining of this problem but have not seen any solutions.

-boster

Upvote 0
I finally got this fixed after banging my head against the wall for days! Ok, check it out. My Note 4 (android 4.4.4) has been missing the group text check box and the option was not even there when you go to messages, settings, mms. The problem is not the app or the phone, it's the Sim card. Starting from the home screen, go to apps (bottom right corner ) look for the settings app and click it, now look around for anything that says "About Device" and click it, then click "Status", now scroll down until you see where it says "My Phone Number". If it says "unknown" under it. ..... BAM!! that's your problem. Call your mobile carrier and tell them you need to add your phone number to your Sim card. They can fix this with a couple of clicks. You power off your phone and power it back on and BOOM! The group messaging is working flawlessly, and the check box will be there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones