• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Group Messaging!! Does not Work!!!!!

I have the Droid Maxx its running 4.2.2, group messaging in settings is on.

Can someone please reply with a solution for Group Messaging. Anytime I reply to a group it goes to everyone individually but I receive messages from groups fine. When I reply it seems as though it stays grouped but everyone texts me back saying its not grouped.

I cant use a 3rd party messaging app that requires registering and making a username like "Whatsapp" because that's RIDICULOUS.

I upgraded from an Iphone4 and group messaging is an everyday need for me. I have over 5 friends with GS4 and they have No problem with group mms. This is really upsetting....Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Can someone please reply with a solution for Group Messaging. Anytime I reply to a group it goes to everyone individually but I receive messages from groups fine. When I reply it seems as though it stays grouped but everyone texts me back saying its not grouped.

I cant use a 3rd party messaging app that requires registering and making a username like "Whatsapp" because that's RIDICULOUS.

I upgraded from an Iphone4 and group messaging is an everyday need for me. I have over 5 friends with GS4 and they have No problem with group mms. This is really upsetting....Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

My suggestion would be to use Google Hangouts. Sorry if that sounds RIDICULOUS. :p

Upvote 0
You might try going into settings and checking the box for using MMS to send group messages. Group messaging works fine for me except I get an occasional message that I send that shows up like a blank photo on my screen. I have to either disable and enable the app or reboot to get it to display properly. I've only seen this occur on group messages.

Upvote 0
BTW, side note alert:

I downloaded BBM today. I really don't see what the big deal is. Apparently it's just another chat/IM client that I have to try to get my friends/family to download and sign up for. It does NOT integrate SMS/MMS nor does it make life easier. Am I doing this wrong? I have NO contacts in my list and can't seem to start a chat with anyone.

Upvote 0

Thank you.

Curious - I haven't had anybody using an iPhone tell me that any replies to group messages that I receive come in any differently, but maybe they are just not telling me about it.

I wonder if Verizon Messages would work for you: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs

I haven't tried it in a LONG time (the last time I used the app, it fixed a problem receiving MMS messages on a custom ROM on an older phone), but the description mentions group messaging features. Maybe it'll work better for you, and it definitely uses your standard Verizon text messaging number, so no registering for a username or anything like that.

Upvote 0
Just as an update, another possible solution is the Google Hangouts app. Hangouts is rolling out an update that allows the app to be an SMS/MMS handler. I have the update, but haven't turned the feature on because I want the Assist drive function to read received messages out loud. But it might be worth testing out - you can always turn the feature off in Hangouts.

Upvote 0
finally got this fixed after banging my head against the wall for days! Ok, check it out. My Note 4 (android 4.4.4) has been missing the group text check box and the option was not even there when you go to messages, settings, mms. The problem is not the app or the phone, it's the Sim card. Starting from the home screen, go to apps (bottom right corner ) look for the settings app and click it, now look around for anything that says "About Device" and click it, then click "Status", now scroll down until you see where it says "My Phone Number". If it says "unknown" under it. ..... BAM!! that's your problem. Call your mobile carrier and tell them you need to add your phone number to your Sim card. They can fix this with a couple of clicks. You power off your phone and power it back on and BOOM! The group messaging is working flawlessly, and the check box will be there.
If it still says "unknown" under where your phone number should be, don't worry. ... it may take an hour or so for your Sim card to update. Just restart your phone every hour until your Sim card diplays your phone number in the settings, about device, status, My phone number

Upvote 0
finally got this fixed after banging my head against the wall for days! Ok, check it out. My Note 4 (android 4.4.4) has been missing the group text check box and the option was not even there when you go to messages, settings, mms. The problem is not the app or the phone, it's the Sim card. Starting from the home screen, go to apps (bottom right corner ) look for the settings app and click it, now look around for anything that says "About Device" and click it, then click "Status", now scroll down until you see where it says "My Phone Number". If it says "unknown" under it. ..... BAM!! that's your problem. Call your mobile carrier and tell them you need to add your phone number to your Sim card. They can fix this with a couple of clicks. You power off your phone and power it back on and BOOM! The group messaging is working flawlessly, and the check box will be there.
If it still says "unknown" under where your phone number should be, don't worry. ... it may take an hour or so for your Sim card to update. Just restart your phone every hour until your Sim card diplays your phone number in the settings, about device, status, My phone number

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones