• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help group messaging

I have searched and searched for a fix to this problem and can't seem to find one. I'm hoping somebody can help me!

When I am in a group message it is being sent out as an individual text to each user. I am using the default messaging app on the S4 and have the group text message checked off in the settings. How can I get my messages to show on their phones in the group text??? :thinking:

First off, I have never use Messaging app for Groups. I have only been using it
in whatsapp, as whataspp manage groups very well, and with apps like whatsapp PLUS, I can fully customize every aspect for it. Especially in a large group, when i can turn Profile pics on, and see exactly who is talking, simply by looking at the pic.

Anyway, without going off topic.

I would imagine, that for the Group will work best within Samsung messaging app, so if your friends are using any other phones, it might not work too well.
Secondly, the other party must enable the Group conversations under the Multimedia message (MMS) settings to keep it within group. So it might not be just your app, it could be their phones, their messaging apps or their settings.

May I ask, why not whatsapp ? It's free to text, easy to work Groups, share media, from photos to videos or audio. And so much more. Even tho SMS is cheap nowadays, with the amount of text I send daily, I seriously consider it obsolete :)

Upvote 0
Here in the US, Whatsapp is free for the first year then 99 cents per year thereafter. It's certainly cheap, but i don't want to get locked in to an annual recurring charge no matter how cheap it is.

Same here. I do pay 99c a year. But the amount of stuff I text.... damn...
Plus, my groups keep sharing photos, videos or voice notes.

The price of SMS in Malaysia is 5 cents, MMS 15 cents, That's about 20 SMS in a price of year long subscription :) And trust me, I could do that before I brush my teeth. And I don't even chat that much, it's just that it's so easy and free with whatsapp, I use it recklessly...

Now, picture that, when on roaming, and I roam a lot, flying from Kuala Lumpur to Monaco at least once a month, I need to pay my telco 1$ per SMS and 3$ for MMS.

Anyway :)
You have a nice weekend, or whatever left of it. In here, we are half way through Sunday already....

Upvote 0
Back to the OPs question, I thought that the Android group messaging issue was resolved with JB. Not true?

My issue with group messaging is that Samsung/AT&T limit the group to 10. I occasionally need more than 10 for a group msg. Does whatsapp deal with that or is it a carrier imposed limit?

And one more thing about the stock messenger app in group mode: I prefer the dark background. However, the stock app doesn't seem to recognize the background color change and keeps the sender info in black... effectively hiding that info unless I change the background to a lighter color.

Otherwise, I like the stock messenger app. ;)

Hey Seba, on the time difference thing, what is your GMT offset? Here in the US I'm at GMT-4 hours (in daylight savings time). Normal is GMT-5. So it's about 0820 in the morning right now.

Upvote 0
My issue with group messaging is that Samsung/AT&T limit the group to 10. I occasionally need more than 10 for a group msg. Does whatsapp deal with that or is it a carrier imposed limit?

Ok, I never talk to 10 (I'm amazed by the way, I tend to get confuse when I have 5 people talking), but whatsapp is Data Plan / Wifi based, so I don't believe it has anything to do with Telco's limits, as it doesn't use actual SMS infrastructure. It's pretty much like internet based instant messenger.
I look it up in whatsapp's FAQ, and found out tha the limit is 50 (damn O_O)
So ... chat away my friend :)

WhatsApp FAQ - How do I use group chat?

And one more thing about the stock messenger app in group mode: I prefer the dark background. However, the stock app doesn't seem to recognize the background color change and keeps the sender info in black... effectively hiding that info unless I change the background to a lighter color.

I'm sorry I really don't know about that. I use the stock app less than once a month.

Hey Seba, on the time difference thing, what is your GMT offset? Here in the US I'm at GMT-4 hours (in daylight savings time). Normal is GMT-5. So it's about 0820 in the morning right now.

I'm GMT + 8:00. It's 8:50pm Sunday night here. My weekend is over, but at least, I'm from the future :)

Upvote 0
Hmm. I may have to try out whatsapp for those occasions when I need 10+ group chat capability (son's sports team parent list).

Thanks for searching that out. Maybe I can get around that 10 person limit afterall. ;)

On the background color issue, does WA allow full customization of the bubble/background styles/colors and retain sender legibility (relative to the background color choice)?

Edit: and regarding the annual fee... my concern was resolved when I found this in the FAQ:
Please note that WhatsApp will never automatically charge you for your subscription.

I assumed they automagically dock your CC for the fee. Not so, you have to make a choice to renew the subscription. I have no problem with that. ;)

Upvote 0
On the background color issue, does WA allow full customization of the bubble/background styles/colors and retain sender legibility (relative to the background color choice)?

Ok, I was all enthusiastic, writing another one of my essays about whataspp. And while looking up for all the reference links for you, to include in my reply, I came to find out some very sad, and recent development.
That very app I was about to recommend, a "special" version of whatsapp, came to and end for legal reasons. I'm broken hearted now :(

To Clarify:

Whatsapp is all good and dandy. You can visit their site and download it. The app is free for a year. And after a year, they will give you few months extension, and then you will have to pay for it 99 cents a year.
They are not going anywhere any time soon, with 250 million users, they are the number one chat app right now.

You can customize it to a degree. The background is whatever you want it to be, not just a custom color, but also an image of your choice, from the phone's gallery.

One cool feature is, that you can set different notification sound and LED color for groups or one-on-one chats. You also get your chats backed up, so when you move to a new phone, you can recover your earlier conversations.

I'm sure you will be surprise to find out, how many people you have in your contacts are using whatsapp. They cross reference contacts between users upon log in, so if any of your friends have it installed, you will instantly see.

Another great feature is pop notification option. Someone text you, it will pop up on your lock screen, and you can reply right away from there, without opening the app. I love that.

What was the whole drama at the beginning of the reply all about?
(still sobbing here....)

There was an alternate version of whatsapp, called whatsapp Plus. By a very nice, Dutch developer from XDA community. If you are not familiar, XDA is the Android's nerd Mecca. Lots of modified and safe, apps. From skype to google keyboards, entire operating systems, roms and what not. I get most of my apps from there.

I'm a huge fan and avid user of whatsapp Plus, and I was about to recommend it to you, when I found out, that Whatsapp has taken legal action against the developer, for copy right infringement. This special version allowed you to modify EVERY SINGLE aspect of the interface. Color of text, bubble, time stamps, status, background, header, notification, size of profile pics, turn them square or round, the list if endless.... I mean literally. It took me a week or so to fully refine what I wanted for my theme. On top of that, there was a theme forum, where people share ideas and XML preference file, which you could download and install, saving you the time doing everything from scratch. On top of that, there is an option in the Theme Gallery under whatsapp Plus settings, to view hundreds of themes and download directly. I'm really sad the app's site has been taken down.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1910437

Anyway, if you like to give the PLUS version a go, I do have in here and I don't mind to forward the file to you. I was just loading it on number of phones for my friends, last night.

Here is a diagram from XDA forum, every menu numer item in the setting, represented on the image to help users find what these said setting control.
You can see the vast modifications allowed by whatsapp Plus
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/2271/dzt.png

Well, that will be all. If you like to go with stock, you will find it in Play or links on whatsapp site.
If you like to go PLUS, let me know and I will upload it to my dropbox.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Wow Seba. Thanks for that in-depth reply.

I installed the stock version, discovered that my youngest daughter was on the cross list, went upstairs and asked her about it. Turns out she had uninstalled it some time back. So I guess once you try it, you're always on the list.

It seems geared to connecting those with the same app. I tried texting someone on my contact list who was not on the common app list. It seemed a very cumbersome process. So I uninstalled it.

I've used Handsent and GoProSMS in the past and may try one of those again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones