1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Group Text help - not looking for Go SMS or Handscent!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by acemario, Dec 21, 2012.

1. acemario

acemario Lurker

Has anyone that wants group texting to work out of the box and not have to download an app (Handscent or Go SMS) been able to find the true solution?

An earlier post talked about taking the phone back because of it and I am thinking about it. I don't care about Iphone vs Android, i just need this most basic functionality. Don't want to start a debate, just looking for other frustrated adults like me. I'm very disappointed with this (and two other issues i will post on later) because i was very excited when i first got this phone. And it is an awesome phone.

Lastly, say there's no solution... Does anyone know where one can sell a phone and get maximum value? I hate i'm considering going back to the fruit...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

when u say group sms u mean sending 1 message to multiple ppl right? That functionality is available out of the box.

3. acemario

acemario Lurker

Silent: I am aware about the funtionality to send to multiple people. I am referring to keeping the recipient list and being able to reply to all instead of individually.

4. silentwitness

ok im not sure of any apps that can do that i just use whatsapp.

5. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Android Expert

Personally, I just recommend and use GroupME. It does have apps but it works over SMS. You can log into the website to send messages from a PC. Best part is that no one else needs to set up an account to use GroupME and is free.

True it is not a built in functionality, but that is sort of the point of having a smart phone by being to customize and add fuctions with apps. Also in my opinion downloading an app for one feature is a better solution than returning the phone.

6. Musky

Musky Android Expert

I use Handcent so I went back to the native messaging app that came with the S3. I tapped to compose a new text message and then tapped the address box and my contacts came up, then I scrolled to the left and tapped on "Groups" there I found the groups I have created, picked one and the 12 members of that group all went into the address box. It all worked just like it does in Handcent.

So, I guess I'm not sure what the problem is.

7. silentwitness

@ Musky i think he wants as per his words " I am referring to keeping the recipient list and being able to reply to all instead of individually." I dunno if u can do that by default in the messages app i had sent a message to 2 ppl when 1 replied it didnt come in that group it came as a single sms.

8. Musky

Musky Android Expert

silentwitness likes this.
  9. powdbyrice

powdbyrice Android Enthusiast

reply all to the original group mms that you send.

the replies still come through individually though

10. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, why not use one of the 2 apps you say you don't want to have to download? The reason those 2 apps are recommended for this is simply because no, the stock messaging app will not handle group messaging in the fashion you are looking for. Both work well and allow group messaging in the way that you want it to work. I guess I don't see why take a phone back that doesn't do what you want when there are 2 solutions that are as simple as installing a small application. Either way, good luck with your decision.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews