1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Grouper vs. Tilapia?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ssick92, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ssick92

ssick92 Android Enthusiast

Hey everyone,

So yesterday my brother and I received our new 32gb + data Nexus 7 tablets. We always root our devices and are pretty fluent with the android interface. I just have 1 question.

Previously, I had a Grouper build Nexus 7 (The original 8gb from launch day). Now my build is the Tilapia build. I am just wondering what the compatibility is between grouper and tilapia ROMS.

I will be using my tablet without data 99% of the time, and I won't set up DataConnect unless I need it. Will normal Grouper ROMs work on a Tilapia Nexus 7 if I don't want to use data? So far in this section I don't see any mention of a Tilapia build, but XDA has it's own subforum for Tilapia builds.

Short version: Will Grouper ROMs work on my Tilapia Nexus 7 if I don't want to use the data, or will this cause major issues?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ssick92

Well, after more researching, I kind of found my own answer, so I thought I would share it for any other confused rooters out there. I apologize if there is already a thread about this somewhere on the forum, but I was unable to find it.

There is a Tilapia specific recovery that we need to flash in order to install Tilapia ROMs. However, after we install the Tilapia recovery we are still able to flash grouper ROMs, after some slight tweaking in the .zip. Basically we just need to change the label in the .zip from Grouper to Tilapia, and there is no side effects to installing a "hacked" ROM.

The recovery/instructions can be found on XDA here (if you're already unlocked and rooted, just skip that part and fastboot flash the recovery .img): Tilapia Recovery Instructions

The instructions to flash a Grouper ROM on the Tilapia build: Grouper Rom Installation Instructions

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Thanks, Ssick!
    I'll add this to the root guide. Cheers. :)

4. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

ya know i was just thinking about this. i wasnt sure if the 32gb with data had a different build or not. when flashing the Tilapia roms it doesnt flash a radio or anything Tilapia specific and vise versa? maybe someone (braver than me :D) can flash a Tilapia rom on a grouper? seems like there interchangeable. or at least can be with a modification to the zip. wonder what the benefits would be (if any)

5. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert

lol they named it after fish? that's weird

6. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Off topic warning: Grouper is SO much better than talapia! Lol
    Grouper is the steak of the sea :)

7. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert

i agree and redsnapper ;) i do lots of fishing aswell:D but yea i just got my nexus 7 last week i did the unlock then root then install twrp :D couldnt be more happier. now im just exploring the different options for roms and what not.

8. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

im partial to bass and walleye personally :)

9. ssick92

Mahi Mahi and Yellowtail here, and both are fun fish to catch as well!! Maybe all our favorite fish will make the Android lineup!

10. Teknologic

Teknologic Android Expert

mahimahi and grouper ftw!

11. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert

wow went from talking about firmware updates to fish looool oh well lets blame it on NightAngel79 lol anyways to get back on track do ya think future updates for our tabz will allow hdmi mirroring? Thats probally the only down side i can think of:(! would of made an awesome console ;)

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

Not unless a dock is released that has that type of feature seeing as the N7 doesn't have an HDMI port on it