• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Groupons & having to hand off your phone - how to lock the screen?

You had to hand your phone to a server and they take it away? I say, NO WAY!! Tell them if they want to scan a code from your phone, they can scan it at your table or the payment counter.

...that's probably worse than the old days of when a server or waiter would take your credit card away to pay the bill. That should just never happen now, and doesn't AFAIK. They have a wireless EPOS terminal, and they bring it to your table usually these days.

While what you describe is the way it works in the rest of the world, in the US we only this month enabled laws that shift liability to encourage vendors to use a chip and signature (not PIN, signature) system. The credit card in the most peoples wallets are still of the chipless variety and the standard practice for most restaurants is to take your CC to the back to run it. Given that a signature and not a PIN is required, I expect that this isn't going to change for until we make the full move to PIN (although I am aware of some chains that are using EPOS terminals on the table) Someday we will catch up, but widespread adoption is still a many years away.

To the OP, my advice would first to be lock account info in a secured app like Dashlane, Lastpass, or some other app that encrypts the data and requires a separate login. I don't know of anything that would work better than the "app pin" but you might look into using the Guest profile. That way you just bring up the Groupon under the guest profile and they won't have access to you personal info.

Reactions: AZgl1500 and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones