• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grrr... I hate you HTC !!

D

Deleted User

Dear HTC,

I bought your official car mount windscreen thingy. When I clip my Desire S into it, it auto-starts your 'Locations' app - which I don't use. I have a proper TomTom for that, thankyou. I don't leave GPS enabled either for the same reason, but your 'Locations' app is telling me I must have GPS enabled.

I click 'cancel' to the GPS warning. Now your 'Locations' app is telling me I must buy a licence to continue my journey. Er... no I don't. I don't want to use your app. I click cancel, 'Locations' disappears and all is well again. ....or so I think.

I remove my phone from the mount and go about my business, and receive a phone call. I answer it only to find you have enabled the speaker on my phone, which I don't want. Why have you done this when you are no longer in the car mount ? I look in my notifications bar and see 'Click to Resume Navigation'. AARRRRRGGGHHHHH !!!!! I don't WANT to use your app !!!! I don't want it to auto-start, I don't want it to stay running when I remove the phone from the cradle, I ESPECIALLY don't want you enabling the speaker on my phone when I'm in a customer's office and a mate rings and starts the conversation with "OYYYYY, YOU FAT *&%!, HOW'S IT GOING".

Can I uninstall 'Locations' ? Can I ****! Can I find the executable to rename / delete it ? Nope. OK, I know.... I'll go to Manage Applications and delete all data in the vain hope that might do something.

Plug the phone into the car mount.... up pops 'Locations' but now it's asking me to consent to something !! Ah-Ha !! - progress !! I make sure I tick the box that says 'Don't show this again' and click on 'Decline'. That should have sorted it !! Unplug the phone, plug it back in....

AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH !!!! WHAT PART OF "DON'T SHOW THIS AGAIN" DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND ?????!!!!

The only way I can get my phone to do what I want at the moment is to plug it into the cradle, wait for the GPS warning, go into my settings, enable the GPS, wait for 'Locations' to start up, then click 'cancel'. EVERY TIME. Not even Tasker can kill it. I know I can use an app to force it to open Google Navigation instead, but I don't WANT any navigation.

I swear... if I ever get my hands on whoever sat around the table at HTC when they were working out a way to force people to use their app and how to stop them removing it... I would stick a Desire where they didn't desire.

I'd flash a custom ROM if I could figure out a way to get Orange Signal Boost onto it.

HTC... you're a bunch of *&$%'s. Merry Christmas.

Apologies for my rant in my initial post, I think I was a tad angry that day ! Anyway, after scouring the web for weeks and ultimately spending an hour on the phone to UK HTC Support, it turns out that it's part of the ROM build and cannot be disabled.

The only way around it is to root the phone and disable it that way.

Unfortunately, that isn't an option for me as I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as - I absolutely need the Orange Signal Boost app that comes with the Orange branded stock ROM (See my other thread about this !).

How rude is that though ? HTC forcing their navigation app on people, whether they want it or not, and giving them no way at all to stop it constantly popping up and asking you to buy a licence ! Out of order HTC.... out of order !

Upvote 0
Don't complain on HTC. I just escaped my worst nightmare: NOKIA Lumia 800 !!
Trashed it and soooooooo happy to experience HTC with Android. This is a phone and a software. I am sure the designers of windows phone software were only able to put together a software for coffee machine dispensers before getting the job at microsoft.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones